How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Your Own Question
Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 15982
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Daniel is online now

I have a Bosch Microwave HMT85ML63 This was fitted

Resolved Question:

Hi,
I have a Bosch Microwave HMT85ML63
This was fitted four years ago and it has not worked for two(+) years and there appears to be no power to the unit.
What simple tasks could/should I perform to investigate?
Charles A. Douglas
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi If theres no power to the microwave then its more then likely the internal fuse in there has blown. If you are looking at fixing this yourself then what you need to do is pull the microwave out from the unit.From there you need to remove the outer casing.Now before touching anything inside the microwave you must discharge the high voltage capacitor as they can store up to 4500v even when its unplugged so you must do that before touching anything in there. Once that's been discharged you will then see a small circuit board. On there is a fuse. You need to test this and see if faulty. If so then you need to replace it. Fingers crossed its just a blown fuse but if after replacing it it blows again then theres something in there causing it which can be a number of things includeing the magnetron, transformer, door switches or the diode. For these you need to test them all with a multi meter a part from the diode as you need a megger to test this as that pumps voltage through it. But first check the internal fuse if you can as to be honest most of the time its just the fuse that's blown in there. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I thought that " a fuse" might be involved and it seems logical that it is internal...though the option of discharging a capacitor seems significantly beyond my capability!
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Yeah all micro waves have them but also all microwaves use very high voltage as that's how they work so before touching anything at all the high voltage cap as to be discharged as if not touching the wrong thing can throw you across the room. So if you not comfortable with it then you will be best getting an engineer in and they will sort it for you. Hoepfully its just the fuse so it wont be an expensive fix for you. But if you need anymore info just get back to me. Regards
Daniel and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you

Related Appliance Questions