Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I looked at a WMTL30. The element was fine (30ohms), the

Customer Question

I looked at a WMTL30. The element was fine (30ohms), the thermostat was fine (18k). It was stopping when it got to the rinse cycle. When I removed thermostat there was some water came out, not much. I don't know if that's relevant. Any ideas?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi Can you double check the model number please. Also as the fault do you get any flashing lights from it?If so which lights are flashing? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it appears that the model was WMTL80. No flashing lights. Since removing the thermostat (which allowed water to trickle out) it appears to be working again. Its a top loader.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok as its started working then just see how it goes. If it happens again then just get back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This unit is playing up again. It wont spin dry on certain cycles but if you alter setting it will!
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok when it plays up are you getting any flashing lights this time? When it stops is it full of water still?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for delay. No flashing lights . When cycle ends no water in the drum but washing not well spun. Again dial often has to be turned to finish the cycle as it can take hours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any ideas?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was away last week when you replied back on here so couldnt reply. As you are not getting any flashing lights and the washer is draining out ok and the washer isnt spinning probberly then its possibley either the motor or the control board at fault. What you can try is check the carbon brushes in the back of the motor. I dont think thats the issue here as by now the drum should have stopped turning completey by now if that was the case but worth checking. But if thats fine then its possibley either the motor or the control board itself as there nothing much in there that can cause this kind of fault you have.The best option here will be to get Hotpoint in on there fixed fee repair which is around £110 all in. This is cheaper then you buying the motor or the control board yourself as for that price they will call out and replace both parts if it needs be for that one off fee. So for this im afraid its looking like a Hotpoint job due to the price.