George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Near the end of a wash cycle my Zanussi ZKI 225 Washer

near the end of a wash cycle my Zanussi ZKI 225 Washer Dryer causes one of the red switches on my electric junction box to the off position. The outcome of this is that a few lights - if on - go off, and a few other appliances including my washing machine itself have power cut off from them. i then move the red switch up again and all power to lights and appliuances comes back. there is no error message on my Zanussi but I am wondering if it is heating to 60 degrees as i no longer can feel heat through the door like I used to be able to do. My Zanussi is built in and is about 4 years old. What advice do you have for me? By the way, I have never used the drying function as I dry my clothes on the outside washing line.
Regards ***** ***** in Colchester, Essex.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard, my name is***** you give me the PNC of the appliance.. This will be on the label inside the door opening where the model number is. regardsGeorge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes the PNC is###-##-####02
Mod zki225 Type H1442432
Can you tell me if it is during the spin/drain cycle that this is occurring?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it does seem to happen near to the end of the cycle. Loss of power, though, means no actual minute number reference. Yesterday I restored power then did moved the dial to a final rinse and spin only programme and that 13 minute cycle worked without a problem. I'm guessing that previous cycles have caused a loose connection or else the programme settings need resetting. So, I'd like to know the likely cause and then if it's worth getting an engineer in to fix it or to go straight to buying a replacement. I can't open up the machine myself. I am only a user of it.
Then from what you have just stated I can deduce that both the pump and the motor are in good order and therefore it leaves the heater to be looked at. In this case I would either replace the heater before doing anything else. If you have the tools to do so (insulation tester), test the heater before replacement. Please rate the assistance given by me today regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If its the heater - which it very, very well may be - then why doesn't it stop much earlier in my 60 degree cycle rather than near the end? Why loss of power and tripping of electric junction box red switch rather than an error message? So, how much do you think an engineer would reasonably charge to come out and fix this? And do you think its fixable / worth getting fixed? Or should I buy a new washing machine? No more questions anticipated after these, George.
My word.. look at all those question marks .. I'll take them in order.. If the problem is the heater, it is likely to be an insulation issue.. This type of fault is cumulative.. The warmer the element gets, the more it breaks down, until it gets to the point where there is virtually no resistance and at this point your appliance will trip the circuit breaker. The pcb does not recognise that type of error. The cost of an engineer is relative.. it depends where in the country you are and also rates are individual per engineer Normally around £50 - £65 + parts All faults are fixable.. The question is of balance against the cost of a new appliance If you are going to buy a new appliance, buy a strong branded product such as Bosch, AEG, Siemens, with a decent warranty. regards
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** initial question has now been completely answered by you to my satisfaction.
Although I had guessed the source of the problem, you have enabled me - a user not an expert - to understand it. Thank you for your expertise. Now it is for me to decide what to do now fully appraised of likely costs of repair relative to cost of a new washer. I am lucky enough to be able to switch to cold loads with bio detergent instead of my normal non bio 60 degrees heated washes for a while and finish off by doing a separate rinse / final spin programme after power trip. 40 degrees trip out too last night so I will try an even cooler programme with the bio and see if that completes. So, there is fortunately no urgent need for me to act over the holidays to get an expert in or buy new. It's great to be in the know now about the problem with my washer rather than to be concluding as a basic user. Have a good Easter George. Thank you again.