dantheman2008
dantheman2008, Mechanic
Experience:  Worked as a vehicle technician since 2002, on all vehicles from minis to articulated lorries. Also work on most electrical appliances, specialising in pressure washers.
9224578

My bosch dishwasher is coming up with an e 15, check water,

Customer Question

my bosch dishwasher is coming up with an e 15, check water, but it also won't turn off at all, we can only get it to turn off by unplugging it. Does it sound fixable?
Expert:  dantheman2008 replied 8 months ago.
Hi Claire.I'm Daniel, and I will try and assist you with this.Please be sure to rate me once we are finished, and feel free to ask any questions. In order to better help you, it would be helpful to have the model number of your dishwasher.When you tilted the machine back, did any water spill out onto the floor? Also, the power button will not work whilst this e15 error is occurring. RegardsDaniel
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No water came out, my husband removed the filter and can see a little water in the base of the machine. Re the model there is nothing on the front except the words Bosch black edition, on the back the label says: sms40a06gb.
Not sure if you are telling me about the button or asking me a question?
Sorry for the confusion!These machines have a float switch in the base, and the E15 code simply means that it has been activated. The recommended fix is to try and drain the base by tilting the machine (as you did), then try restarting it. Since this has not worked, you could try the following.You could check to see if the waste pipe is blocked, therefore allowing water to drain back to the machine. Ultimately you need to get the water out of the base in order to get the machine working obviously, but it may be that you have a leak. If this is the case, it will just keep displaying the same thing.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
is there a best way to drain it, this model has no removable flaps or doors to open so getting into the base seems impossible.If we manage to drain it and the pipe is not blocked at the dishwasher end, and we still get the message, do you think it sounds like time to get a new one?
The best way to drain it is to simply tilt it as you have already done. It may be that there is only a small amount of water in the base and is difficult to get out, but enough to upset the float switch!Calling an engineer to check it for leaks, and/or drain the machine would be my advice.As for your question on if it is time to get a new one, hard to answer. Everybody has different views on this subject! Personally, I would call an engineer to come and assess the dishwasher like I said. It may be he is able to fix it on site there and then. If not, get an estimate for repair. At that stage you can make a more informed decision. It all comes down to a few things ant the end of the day. Cost of repair vs purchasing a replacement, age of machine and life expectancy once repaired.I could look up details of an engineer in your area if you like?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 8 months ago.
Hello Claire, my name is***** previous respondent is correct in stating that the fault code can mean that there is water in the base, however, this is not a definitive alignment of that code.. What the code actually means is "Base carrier safety switch active. Appliance cannot be switched off" (the Anti-Flood system has been activated) or Water supply (impulses from flow sensor) without activation of the filling valve.. but one could be forgiven for the alternate description given as that would normally be my 'off the cuff' response...The Anti-Flood System has been activated could mean any of the following:1. that there is water in the base;2. the float has been damaged by solvents;3. the float is off its seat;4. the float switch has become faulty;5. the wiring between the switch and the PCB has been damaged. Water supply (impulses from flow sensor) without activation of the filling valve..Check the pressure switchCheck the for actuation of the fill valve The cost of repair of any of these circumstances obviously depends on your postcode area for labour but cost of parts for this type of fault would usually would be under £30 The cost of a replacement for the dishwasher would far exceed the cost of repair. If you let me know your postcode I can see if there is an engineer available that covers your area regards
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for such a comprehesive reply, i know it will sound wrong, but if we have to call out an engineer and pay them to tell us it is broken we won't then have enough to buy a new one. Your answer leaves me feeling it really is worth calling them out as whilist you cannot guarantee it can be fixed, there is quite a list of possible solutions!We are going to take another look in the morning and i will come back if i need an engineer.
Ok Claire, There is never a circumstance where it can't be fixed (unless parts are not available), moreover the cost of repairing the product is the cause of the demise of most appliances.If your husband has a multimeter and knows how to use it then get him to check the list I have given you above.
Hi Claire.Just wondering if you are any further forward with this?RegardsDaniel