George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have an Hotpoint Aquarius condeser dryer Model TC11.

Hi I have an Hotpoint Aquarius condeser dryer Model TC11. This unit is quite old, but i thought i would give this a shot anyway. The unit is not drying the clothes anymore. Funtions ok meaning it spins and goes through the programme ok, but no heating. Please advise how to access this element?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hi Justin, To access the heater1) Remove the 9 screws securing the heater cover to the rear panel of the appliance.2) Remove 1 screw from the heater assembly and ease the retaining tabs from the rear panel anddisconnect the wiring.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the best way to test this heater, can this be done using a Multi Meter
There should be a brown wire, a red wire, and a blue wire, on the heater... If you place one terminal of your Ohm set multimeter onto the brown wire and test from it to the red, and then the blue wires, you should get a reading on each on 5.4ohms.
Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars, it is the only way I get credited for responding to you. regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George,
I have a blue wire, a brown wire and a pink wire, these are connected to one end of the heating coils. I also have brown and pink connecting to what looks like two sensors or thermostats. Please advise where i should check for this resistance.
Can you upload an image?If not, tell me where the wires go from/to
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi will attempt to upload hope this helps.
Ok Justin, Take the pink wire off the TOC on top of the heater then test the continuity through that TOC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
George, sorry to appear so thick, what does TOC mean???
It means Thermal Overload Cutout and on your image you have an arrow pointing to the one I am talking about
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George,
I am not clear on what I should be seeing. I have attached a sketch of the set-up hope still will assist you in my query..
Going off your drawing... You need to remove the pink wire from the TOC (One-shot) and then test from one side to the other on a continuity setting to ensure that you have a reading through the TOC..You need to remove the brown heater-side wire from the other TOC and then test from one side to the other on a continuity setting to ensure that you have a reading through the TOC..Also, on the heater test from the Pink to the Brown, and from the Pink to the Blue.. You need a reading from both tests to ensure that you have continuity through the heater elements...If at any point of testing you have no reading.. then you need to replace that component.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 12 months ago.
When you are testing the heater, make sure that you have the High Heat switched on, otherwise you will not get a reading from the lower element
Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Testing between the pink(probe still on wire end) and the other probe on the blue element side i get 81.2 ohms with switch setting to low. I am still not clear on your instructions to test through the TOC's. Looking at the diagram i sent you it is not adding up? The other test i did was with the probe still on the pink wire and removing the brown on the second TOC leaving the element side wire still intact but removing the other wire i got a measurement of 40.6 ohms. Still not clear on how i am to test the TOC which has the pink wire attached?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Testing with the probe on the pink wire end and the other on the Brown element end i got 40 ohms on Low Switch setting and 20 ohms on the high setting.
Disconnect both wires off the TOC. Place + probe on one terminal of the TOC and - probe on the oposite terminal of your TOC.. do you get a reading through the TOC... If not it needs replacing.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi George
I am getting continuity 0.2 ohms across both TOC's
Then both of the TOCs are working and since you are getting a reading through the heater elements, they are also ok. You need to test the switch at the pump.. If the switch is activated then power will be shut off to the heater.. No further assistance will be given on this enquiry without a rating of the assistance given so far
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi George,
I have given a well deserved excellent rating, and I thank you.
The pump you are refering to is the one i presume under the same nine screw housing as the element. How do i get access to the switch? Does this mean the removal of the complete back panel?
To rate my assistance, please use the Stars provided.
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Ok.. Thank you for rating. 1) Remove the top cover.2) Remove the left hand side panel.3) Remove the 3 screws securing the front panel to the base and ease the front panel away fromthe base.4) Lift out the condenser housing unit. Access is now available to the float chamber and the switchcan now be unclipped from the top of the float chamber.