George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I'm getting ice build up in my AEG Santos 72348-KA fridge

Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve, my name is***** you tell me where the ice build-up is in the compartment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It starts building up on the fins of what I guess is the auto defrost element that is hidden behind the removable panels inside the rear of the fridge and eventually grows out into the fridge and up into the fan area - causing fan to stop working
Then from what you are describing I would say that the problem lies with the defrost system.. either the sensor, the fuse, or the element. Do you have the PNC of the appliance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
###-##-####
This appliance is controled electronically with sensors, and does not have a defrost system.. Can you tell me if the temperature in the display is showing correctly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is displaying 5 degrees, and seems correct given that fridge is keeping stuff cool
Manual I have describes it as 'auto-defrosting' and there are a couple of large evaporator trays at the rear
Check the seals on the door are acting efficiently and not allowing moisture into the compartment Quoted directly from the Service ManualThe temperature in the compartment is regulated with an air sensor and an evaporator sensor.When the air sensor is warmer than the cut-in temperature and when the evaporator sensor is warmer than the defrost temperature, the fan starts and with 1 minutes delaythe compressor starts.When the air sensor temperature is lower than the cut-out value, the compressor stops immediately while the fan stops with 5 minutes delay.When the door is opened the fan stops immediately while the compressor continues for another 2 minutes. If the door then still is open the compressor also stops.An extra defrost period when only the fan runs for 45 minutes comes with an interval between 2 and 4 days. It is the accumulated uptime of the compressor that decideswhen this period shall occur depending on how much the refrigerator has to work. At this point I ask that you rate the assistance given you by me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seals are fine
Inclined to rate you at three stars as I don't feel that I am any closer to a solution
Are you able to recommend a course of action?
Is there anything I can do - can handle most DIY - or am I obliged to seek another tradesman?
If a local tradesman is required can you recommend any?
So long as you know have the tools and what you are doing you can test the two sensors and check the pressure of the refrigerant.. There are many variants to this.. The sensors have not picked up a fault and you say the temperature is ok.. You say the seal on the door is ok and is not leaking air into the cabinet.. That leaves either a gas issue, a compressor issue, or a control issue. Gas issue - TradesmanCompressor issue - Is it running hot or for long times? If so, it could be a worn compressor, or it could be lacking sufficient refrigerant.Control issue - Is the compressor switching on and off as it should and at the right times. If not constant, then the relays on the board could need attention. Local Tradesman - If you can let me know your postcode I can check for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NR6 7AU
Hi Steve, sorry I had to disappear on call-out Here is a guy that covers your area and does domestic refrigeration. C & G Refrigeration Ltd1 West RoadKing's Lynn, PE31 6JETel: 01485 541525Mob: 07799 690639
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These guys are an hour away from me and do not do domestic
Ok Steve, they must have stopped since we last used them.. Here is the other one for your area that I have on my list: Anyrep Fridge & Freezer RepairTel: 01603 433083Mob: 07525(###) ###-####Montrose Court, Norwich, NR7 0RY I have another, but I have never used them and that is : 5 Star Fridge & Freezer RepairsTel: 01603 50222231 Meadow Rise Rd, Norwich, NR2 3QE, Norfolk Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you. regards