Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

The fridge in our fridge freezer does not appear to be getting

the fridge in our fridge freezer does not appear to be getting cold, its 3 years old, the freezer is working ok but not the Fridge the model is a ZBB26650 Fridge /freezer. the light is on the fridge and its set at Plus 2C but it does not feel cold. any suggestions????
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 9 months ago.
Would you kindly let me have the pnc code on the label inside the unit - Ian
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sorry for the delay the PNC code is 925 697 718 hope this helps
To briefly explain how the system work so that you can follow the sequence. All the cooling in your appliance is derived from a evaporator (cold plate) located in the top of the freezer, when required to cool the fridge it is ducted up into the fridge via pipes at the back. You have a fan in the back of the freezer that circulates the cold air. Firstly can you confirm that the fan in the freezer is running and secondly by looking in the front of the evaporator cover can you confirm that the evaporator is clear of ice?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Ian Good morning, first of all there is no ice inside the fridge whatsoever, I cant tell if the fan is working but there does not seem any cold air coming into the fridge through any of the ducts.
OK what has most likely happened is that over a period of time the ducts have frozen up. However I also need to be sure that the circulating fan is working, if you leave the fridge door closed but open the freezer door you should be able to hear it running, opening of the fridge door will stop its operation.
There will be no ice in the fridge the evaporator that I referred to earlier is located in the freezer compartment right at the top with vents at the front as you look backwards into the cavity.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is no ice around any part of the top of the freezer the grill at the top is clear and the freezer is working ok.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
and I cant hear a fan working, there appears to be a draft of cold air but I think this is just the cold air coming out of the freezer whilst the door is open.
OK can you let me have your email address and I will send you a diagram
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
yes its***@******.***
OK I have sent you a diagram of the area I want you to check, item 102 is the evaporator that should not be frozen up and I need you to remove item number 38 from the back of the freezer compartment very carefully and see if any of the ducts are blocked with ice - then come back to me.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Ian, the part 102 is frozen up, there are no signs of frozen ducts behind 38, sorry to be such a long time but we obviously had to empty the Freezer etc. fortunately we have a send Freezer.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
should read second Freezer.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Ian looking at 102 again, the coils are not frozen its above the coils on top of the cover for 102.
OK you can see all the way through the coils from front to back? Secondly when you had 38 off did you see any movement from the fan?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi , I have 102 loose after taking off 38, have undone the 2 retaining screws for 102 which allows me to move 102 forward I have not removed it from its position so I can only say the coils look clear of an ice, on top of 102 is iced up.
There is no sign of a fan in the freezer compartment after removing 38 completely, from your diagram it looks as if it might be behind 523D
Yes - but you should be able to see the fan through the holes and note if the blades are turning with the fridge door closed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the only holes I have are the 3 screw holes for 38, do you want me to move 102 from its position?? there is an electric connection with 3 wires going up into the top back of the freezer comp., how much movement do I have with 102.
I just need to know if the fan blades are turning?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi have just got on my back with head as far in the freezer comp and at the back of 102 pulling 102 forward and the fan started up I had not heard this previously.so yes the fan is working.
OK I need you to leave it now for a while, the way that it all works is that when the fan starts up it not only causes the air to circulate in the freezer but by increasing the air pressure by its blowing action it causes air to be forced through the ducts and into the fridge. In the round the freezer can stay cold without the fan but the fridge cant. Keep an eye on the fan/temperature and come back to me in an hour or so with the results.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, the Fan is working, the freezer is minus 3 its been switched off while I have been working on it but looks ok, the fridge not sure how we tell the temp of the fridge its set at Plus 5 and feels that it is going colder but again its been off so not sure if its working 100 % will put the food items back into both compartments and see what they are like in the morning.
is there a way of telling the actual temp in the Fridge?? with what you now know do you think everything is ok or do we still have a problem?
without a thermometer not really but the best way I have found is to check the feel of a bottle of milk in the morning, if that feels cold then all is in order, if it feels hot then you still have a problem. Check it out and come back to me in the morning when you've had chance to check - Ian
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thanks very much will be in touch in the morning, thanks for all your help. Roy Drayton
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Ian, the bottle was cold this morning, but the water tray at the back of the unit is 3/4 full, just so your in the picture we emptied both the fridge and the freezer and left them both on last night with the bottle in the fridge, so the fridge appears to be ok.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hi Ian I am out until after lunchtime so will pick up any message once I return,
regards ***** *****
OK that is fine just check that the drain hole is not blocked at the back, mop up the spare water and check for the next couple of days and come back to me if you get too much more defrost water. In the meantime would you kindly rate the information given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page. Once done you can come back to me at any time for further advice on a free of charge basis. Just allows me to clear the job off the system. Thank you for using JA and drop me a line if you need further help - Ian
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.