George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Hotpoint Aquarius WDL520, I started a wash ans

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Hotpoint Aquarius WDL520, I started a wash ans about halfway during the cycle the machine cut out. It tripped the mains every time I tried to switch in on. I left it for a hour and tried again and the lights came on and tried starting then tripped the mains again.
Any ideas at all please?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
hello Michael, my name is***** problem will likely be with the heater element.. As the heater gets warmer the resistance of the element drops, but if the insulation of the heater element is defective then as the heater gets warmer the insulation breaks down and causes a short to earth.. Change the heater element and all will be fine. Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where will I find the heater element, Not sure how to get to it.Thank you for your responce.
On that model, if you remove the rear panel, the heater is in front of you below the pulley wheel.. Loosen the bolt in the center to remove the heater.. it is not easy to do...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you Im going to give it a go.
You're welcome.Make sure you turn off the power first