How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask George-Allsorts Your Own Question
George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 1448
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
George-Allsorts is online now

Our NEFF Microwave model no: C57W40NOGB/03 which we have

Customer Question

Hi, Our NEFF Microwave model no: C57W40NOGB/03 which we have owned and used regularly for the past five years has now stopped working, it is completely dead. However, before this and this was only a few days ago, it would work for about ten seconds and then stop. Set it going again, but yet again after ten seconds it stopped. At this stage the lights and display were still working. Further attempts have now resulted in nothing working at all, as I said earlier...completely dead. Is it something minor or are we looking at major work which could cost a small fortune to put right. Any help greatly received. Many thanks. Brian.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello Bryan, my name is George,The original fault was likely just the magnetron become faulty, however they generally cost around £90 + labour...Now having the problem of no power at all, infers a power loss. This could be the fuse in the plug, or the fuse on the power board, however it could be something more sinister like failure of the power board. A cost cannot be determined without knowledge of the exact fault.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George, Many thanks for your reply.
I checked the fuse in the plug and this is OK. Took the back off the machine and checked the internal fuse, which had blown. Replaced it with another 10 amp, which restored the lights and display, but when switching the machine on it promptly blew the internal fuse again. Any further idea's?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
MAKE SURE THE APPLIANCE REMAINS UNPLUGGEDWARNING - Microwaves can kill - Certain parts of an inverter board carry as much as 4kV at 300ma That could then be an insulation breakdown in the Magnetron, or a short circuit in the Inverter board, or both. It could also be a shorting bulb, fan, or door switch. Remove the bulb for a visual check, check the resistance of the fan. Visually check the connections of the Magnetron and the Inverter board (look for burns on connections or blown chips) Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.
George-Allsorts and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
George, Thank you for your help so far. Having further checked the appliance, the bulb looks OK, fan and door switch the same and the general condition inside the machine looks clean with no signs of burns or blown chips anywhere. In fact it all looks remarkably clean and tidy for its age. With no obvious signs of anything wrong, which part would you advise to replace first as this could now be trial and error or is there any basic tests that can be performed with a multimeter. I am not an electrician but know my limitations.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Brian, don't be fooled by the door switches. I would say that your most likely parts to go are the Inverter and the Magnetron, but sometimes when the Magnetron fails it takes out the Inverter as well.. so pot luck I'm afraid.. If you have a good enough multimeter you can test the Magnetron from terminal to terminal on 200Ohms you should get a reading of around 1.. Then set at 20MOhms from each terminal to the body of the Magnetron you should get an o/c reading

Related Appliance Questions