Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a 8 year old Whirlpool side by side fridge freezer with

I have a 8 year old Whirlpool side by side fridge freezer with ice and water dispenser. The water dispenser has stopped working and the fridge compartment is freezing the contents. I have adjusted the humidity control of the vegetable compartment and the temperature control slider of the veg/meat compartment and it hasn't really made a difference (although I am not sure if I have adjusted to correct levels). Any ideas?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I still haven't received a reply, despite my £20 being paid... I am not filled with confidence by this service so far
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 11 months ago.
Hi Sorry for the delay in getting to you. I have only just come online and saw your question sitting there on the board. But as to the fault if the fridge was getting too cold then the water line will have froze up. As the water chamber for the dispenser is inside the fridge at the back at the bottom.But for this you are looking at a faulty air damper. This is the part that opens up and allows the cold enter the fridge section and then when its cold it should switch off. But when they fail they stay open so too much cold air enters and causes it to freeze up and this freezes the water coil on there and gives this fault that you have. To fix this you need to replace the air damper which is inside the fridge in the top left rear corner. You need to remove the plastic covers and then you can access this.Replace this and then you need to turn the appliance off for a few hours and leave the fridge door open and this will defrost the water inside the water coil and this will cure the dispenser fault that you have. If you need anymore info just get back to me. Regards
Hi I see the question is still open here, Do you still need more help on this?If so just get back to me and i can advise further. If not then if you could rate the answer that will close the question down on this. Many thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am sorry I haven't rated your answer yet, it is difficult for me to rate as I haven't yet been able to source and purchase the part that you have recommended so I do not yet know if this will solve the problem or not. Do you have any idea where the best place to source a reasonably priced replacement part would be?
Can you post the full model number of the fridge or better still the service number. It will be on a sticker inside the fridge behind the second drawer from the bottom upwards on the side wall and it will start 85. Then i can get the part number and help you find it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I have attached a picture of the sticker, hopefully this contains all the information needed. Thank you for your help. Fiona
Thanks for that. The part number for the part you need is 481236138103 Click here for the part This is the cheapest ive found as it includes free postage as well.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.