George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Parkinson Cowan gas cooker. It is 15 years old.

Hi. I have a Parkinson Cowan gas cooker. It is 15 years old. A few weeks ago we noticed that when the grill had been on for a while it would "pop" and blow out. So just stopped using it. Problem solved! This morning the oven started making a loud popping noise, even though it is not on. It has done this periodically all day. Got someone from local appliance shop to look at it. Two lads came. Doubt either of them were more than 19 yrs old. They hadn't a clue. Later realised that with the loud popping noise there was a spark. Phoned British Gas.( appliance repair line) They told me to turn gas off (the oven was not on) and they sent an emergency engineer. He confirmed there was no gas leak in the house, didn't check oven at all. Suggested we turned electric off from oven. Which we thought we had done, at least the clock has gone off as has cooker hood. But it has now "popped" again and I think the house lights seemed to dim for a split second as well. Am completely freaked out. Terrified of what is going on. No idea who to ask or what to do. Saturday evening doesn't help. Just want to know what may be causing it and, more importantly, is it safe? Thanks. Ann
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ann, my name is***** you supply the model number of the appliance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SIG(orC)531GRN
Thank you... The appliance is SIG531GRN (943204050) From what I can see from the documents for this appliance, whilst taking your description into consideration, there is only one part that could possibly cause this trouble and that is the spark generator for the appliance.. The cooker has a plug and lead behind it.. Pull out the appliance and disconnect this plug from the wall.. The problem should not happen again, but you would then need to light the flame by manual means. Should this be found to be the problem, then the replacement part number for the spark generator is(###) ###-####Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. It has "popped" a couple more times and even my husband said the lights seemed to flicker for a split second. Seems like it must be electrical. In fact it has happened even as I am typing this. Have you any idea what it can be and who I could contact. Should I be looking at electricians and most importantly, will it be safe to use the oven. I am cooking for a big family lunch tomorrow and will need the oven. Thanks . Ann
Did you remove the plug from the wall as I suggested above? If you need the details of an appliance engineer, let me know your postcode
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Sorry. Your reply came through as a email and not on my iPad. The cooker hasn't been moved since it was fitted in to the kitchen 15 years ago! I may have to get some muscle in tomorrow to help me shift it! I did take one plug out which seems to have turned off the clock on the cooker. Is the spark generator on a different circuit? Provided it is safe to leave , I am happy to wait until tomorrow. Will the gas oven be safe to use tomorrow? Thanks for your help. Sorry to be a nuisance. Ann
If you have taken out the plug for the appliance, the spark generator should discharge and you should not get any more problems.. The spark generator is on the same circuit. If British Gas have confirmed no gas leak then you should be safe if the appliance is disconnected from the electric... You can then use the appliance tomorrow and it will be safe to do so providing the appliance is lit manually. The original problem with the grill could be an FSD.. however, the second oven issue sounds like it is a spark generator issue.If you need the services of a Gas Safe appliance engineer to repair the appliance, please leave your postcode for me.. Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much for this. You have been most helpful. If you could let me know of an engineer that would be great. I live in Salford, Gtr. Manchester and my postcode is M6 8GW. Hope you have a good weekend (what's left of it). off to watch MOTD. Ann