George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Have a whirlpool freezer and at the mo it seems it's not working.

Have a whirlpool freezer and at the mo it seems it's not working. Dial on front is turned up and green light on. Next to green light is another light with a thermometer symbol nxt to it and arrows pointing down. I have the yellow light was not on so I pressed a button nxt to symbol and light and now the yellow light has lit up. What do I do, is this right or should it b off, would appreciate a reply, many thanx
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard, My name is***** you know the model of the appliance? Knowing this, or the Service Code, will assist me as I will be able to see a diagram or picture of the appliance you have. The button you pressed to turn the Yellow light on would be the Super Freeze button.. Having this light lit is indicating that you have the appliance in Super Freeze mode to speed-up the freezing process. Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sry no model number, just that it is a small upright freezer. Have had the yellow light on for nearly an hour now and doesn't seem to b feeling cold, am guessing new freezer on the cards
Can you hear the motor/compressor of the appliance running Richard?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't hear anything, initially I thought fuse, but as I have said green light is on so can't b that.
So again no noise at all just doesn't seem to have any life. It is about 9 years old and a small upright freezer
Is the control panel at the top of the door?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Give the control panel a light tap to see if the appliance starts-up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lol, Yh tried and nothing
That was an attempt to see if the relay that controls the motor start was not working due to lack of supply power to it because of capacitor degradation. I would say that if the yellow light has come on but the compressor is not starting, then there is a problem with either the control board or with the starter relay on the compressor. Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.