Kelly
Kelly, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Technician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

Why does my Whirlpool oven AKP 217/IX take 25 minutes to heat

Customer Question

Why does my Whirlpool oven AKP 217/IX take 25 minutes to heat up to 200 degrees?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! When you turn the oven on, does the lower element get red hot? How about the grill element when grill heat is selected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The lower element is under the floor of the oven so it cant be seen. the floor does seem to be getting warm

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
If you feel the floor bottom after a few minutes, is it hot, though?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
So the lower element is working. Is this a new oven? Typically, with a hidden element, it will take longer to heat up than a standard element or fan oven.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The oven is two years old and can be used with or without the fan

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Does it seem to be taking longer than it used to? Is the temperature accurate when it does get to what you set? Does the grill element get red hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The grill element does get red, I think the temp is relatively accurate. I think its always been like it and we have just got fed up with it!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
With the hidden element, that is just kind of the way it is. One trick you can do is to turn the grill on for a few minutes and then cancel it and turn the bake mode on. That will allow the grill element to heat it up a bit before the hidden element is used and it will speed it up a bit.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.