George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a hotpoint fdw85 dishwasher which is giving AL03

Customer Question

Hi. I have a hotpoint fdw85 dishwasher which is giving AL03 fault. Outlet pump seems fine. Any ideas.
Mark
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 7 months ago.
Hello Mark, my name is***** it is pumping & draining, have you checked the pressure switch tube to see if it is blocked?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello george.
I haven't checked it. Where is it located? I will check now?
Behind the right hand side panel of the appliance Be careful not to change the routing of the pressure switch hose, it loops up through the plastic clip before returning to the pressure chamber on the sump.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
George.
I have right panel off now. Is pressure switch on very bottom with grey pipe going into it??
yes.. take note of the route of the tube, remove it from the pressure switch and blow down it towards the tank..Please be patient as I am on call so will be in and out and may not be able to answer you immediately
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This pipe is not blocked..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried it earlier on a wash cycle and it was making a gurgle sound.
It's not emptying on it own unless I change it to a rinse program.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
And there was a slight electric scorching smell..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi george.
Are you still on phone or have I lost communications with you? ?
Sorry, I was out on call Can you tell me.. If there is a good level of water in the tub, does the pump empty all of it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes the pump empties all of the tub..
Where is the electrical scorch smell coming from... Top, bottom, behind right panel, ???
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's difficult to give you a location. Machine was in situ at the time. I can try restart that cycle and observe??
Yes, please do; watch for the level of water, heated water, pump operation, any weird smells and where they come from, etc. I have to go back out on call I will be back soon
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
George.
No smell now.. AL05 error now showing.
How long is it taking to produce the AL05 error? Does the wash pump start to circulate?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I start cycle, it takes 2-3 mins. No water is circulated..
and during this 2-3 mins, is the pump running all the time?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It takes in water into tub. It pumps it back out again. Pump is running all the time..
Is it pumping the water out as it is taking it in?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. It takes in water into the tub. I can see level rising on clear tube on pump. It then pauses for a short while , pumps out water again. Pump keeps pumping until AL05 displays and then cuts off.
There is a fault in either the Pressure Switch, the wash Pump, or the PCB Here are the listed causes of the error AL05:Filter blocked - The machine has tried to carry out the filter cleaning cycle but has failed to clear the blockage.Check the filter or sump is not blocked.Check the pressure switch is not stuck in the empty position (contacts 11-12) or the pressure chamber or air tube are either blocked, unattached or split.Check the wash pump is circulating the water.Check the wiring to the pressure switch.Check the edge connector blocks on the pressure switch and module card.Check the outlet hose is not too low causing the machine to siphon.If all the above tests are OK replace module card. Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do I check if circulation pump is circulating?
Literally check to see if the wash pump is pumping water around the dishwasher Please take the time to rate the assistance I have given you by using the stars provided, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok George.
Now it's moving on to the circulation stage but it failing to get the water up the
Tube to the top shelf. This is the gurgling sound. This water is extremely hot.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's no longer giving AL05.
Then Mark, you have a failing wash pump
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
In your opion Grorge, Is it economical to repair or is machine at end of life??
The replacement part is listed as part number C00115902 and is now supplied as a non-original motor, and as the Alternator no longer comes with the motor so you need to re-fit the old Alternator to the new motor. The cost is listed as variable around £95. Viability or cost effectiveness are relative to: ***** ***** vs replacement cost, and to the user and their finances; for this reason I could not really advise on this.
Mark, it is now 5 days since I advised you regarding the fault with your appliance but I have not heard anything further from you..Can you tell me if you are ready to continue with this before your query times-out?Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you. regardsGeorge