George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Stoves built in oven and grill. , The grill when on for

Stoves built in oven and grill.
The grill when on for a few minutes begins to sound like a jet engine when switched off for 5 minutes lights ok then reverts to the fault condition.
Any help on this would very welcome.
Adam
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 9 months ago.
Can you provide the model number and product code from the label on the oven surround please
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will take a minute or two, ill be right back. ta,
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
'stoves' 900 GTF
Model No###-##-####
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
George?
whats happening?
Hello Adam, I am looking at the tech data for your appliance
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok, thanks.
Can you tell me what you mean by Fault Condition?
Also describe the 'Jet Engine' sound
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The jet engine noise starts and it seems that only a part of the grill burner is lit.
Also describe the 'Jet Engine' sound Is it a whistle, a roar, or other?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i'll try,
So, we have the background cooling fan hum, that seems normal, then a very loud roar starts which quite frankly can only be described as a small jet aircraft taking off!
And you say that only part of the grill is lit... can you describe that... Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I need a full picture of the issue...
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sure, no problem, the grill burner is made up of a series of discs about 15 or so, when the fault appears, seems that only the disc in the center is glowing.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
incidentally, I don't keep the burner lit for long in the fault condition in case we have a blow torch going on inside.
and if you light the rest of the burner with a manual flame, what happens
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
not possible, grill is in its own housing and accessable to the user
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not accessable to the user
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
George, do you have a exploded view of the grill burner assembly to hand?
I do have exploded diagrams of the appliance but this does not include indepth build of individual parts
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok, pity, cos that would show the grill burner housing and any possibility of lint of grease blocking any or some of the air/gas inlet ports.
When you say, after 5 mins it lights ok.. Does that mean that all the segments of the grill lights?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
yup, for a about 20 seconds, then a small light jet aircraft takes off!
Looking at the diagrams and parts of the appliance, I can only see one part being able to cause your issues...The grill burner having a blockage in the feed/injector (remove for cleaning and removal of debris) Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
so, my suggestion of blocked inlet ports is correct?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
George, is that the only possibility? or could it be a FFD failure? which in this case is electronic.
Depends what you mean by inlet ports, but in general yes, it sounds like you have debris inside the burner arm and the gas is having to rush past this (which is your roar), but when doing so is pushing the debris to block the outlet to the other parts of the burner. Obviously this is an assumption and until the grill burner is removed for cleaning one can not be definitive..
This will not be an FFD failure as otherwise the remaining segment would not light
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair