Kelly
Kelly, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Technician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

I have a hotpoint aquarius washing machine that is just

Hi, I have a hotpoint aquarius washing machine that is just over 1 year old. For about 5 months now it has been leaving dark sticky spots on some clothes, even ones in the same wash. I have done a 90 deg wash with soda crystals and then another 90 deg wash with a small amount of washing liquid to make sure the crystals were completely gone. The first load which was sheets came out with just a couple of spots on a pillow case. The next wash (woolen cycle) came out with black trousers and a light coloured polo shirt just covered in these spots but another pair of trousers didn't seem to have anything on them. Never had this happen before and nobody seems to have heard of it. Washing machine seems to be running fine and quiet apart from this. Can you help? Moira
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! Do the spots come out if you rewash the clothing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they do. They don't seem to be grease spots, more sticky. I use persil and aerial liquid in a ball inside the machine if that helps.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The usual cause of these types of spots is softener and detergent residue. The residue usually builds on the upper part of the outer tub where the water level never rises to and only splashes on. I would run a hot load (or two) with a couple liters of white vinegar (no clothes) and see if the results improve. There are commercial cleaners (Affresh-see link below) that are designed to foam heavily to reach these areas, too. Typically, you need to run a cleaning cycle at least monthly. I would try this and see if the results improve. CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** wondering why it's happening with a new machine when something like this has never happened with any of my other machines. I put a cup of soda crystals through it last night on a 90deg wash and then another 90 deg wash was that not a good idea, would the vinegar be better?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Vinegar has acetic acid in it and is a better cleaner for this type of residue. This machine probably uses less water than your older machines have. If you peel the rubber door boot back, does the inside of the rubber gasket feel slimy at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I shall go and check, back in a minute
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Roger that!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I pull back the rubber round the door to expose the metal underneath it does have some slimy stuff on it. The wash that I put in on a wool wash originally I had re done on a cotton wash and nearly all the spots are off. Is it something to do with the wool wash?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
No, the loads do not matter. It is the small amount of water and detergents/softeners that cause that issue. A thorough and repetitive cleaning each month (or twice per month) will be most beneficial.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, finally got back to you!! Thank you for your advice, I'll try the white vinegar. This was better than getting an engineer out. Much appreciated.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure, thank you! Please know that you may post back if you still have trouble after cleaning. There is no extra charge and I am more than happy to continue to help until you are spot free washing again! Take care, thank you so much.