Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Can you see the question I am looking at at the moment as our

Customer Question

Can you see the question I am looking at at the moment as our problem is the same
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a hotpoint quadrio fridge freezer model FF4DK the fidge has stopped working but freezer is ok
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi Im afraid we cannot see the question you are looking at. But if you have this model and the fridge isnt cold but the freezer is then its more then likely too much ice in the freezer blocking the air flow into the fridge. As the fridge section gets its cooling from the freezer on these. What you need to do is either empty the freezer fully and from there you need to remove the back panels in there.Behind there you will see the evaporator. If this is blocked up with ice then you need to use a hairdryer and fully defrost it.Once defrosted turn it back on and after a few hours it should be back to normal again. Or if you dont want to go removing panels then you need to empty the freezer again and then turn the appliance off for 24-48 hours and leave the freezer door open and this will allow the ice to defrost itself. Then retry it and see how it goes. Fingers crossed its a one off but if it happens again then theres a fault on the auto defrost side which is possibly the defrost heater at fault. For this you need to access the inside of the freezer again and you will see the heater wrapped around the evaporator. You need to test this with a multi meter and replace if faulty. So try the above and see how it goes from there and let me know. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleared out the freezer, left it off & open for about 2 hours & then removed the back panel, there was some ice but not loads.
What should I try now?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok if all the ice is cleared then refit the panels again and try it and see what happens. If its still not getting cold with the ice cleared then you need to check the fan motor inside the freezer. As if this isnt running then it will not blow the cold air into the fridge so check the fan motor and see if its running.You need to have the fridge doors closed for the fan to run in the freezer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you say panels are there more than 1? We just removed one large one
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
On some models theres 2. You have a thin outer cover you remove and there you will see another with the fan motor in. But actually thinking on your model its only the 1 panel. Is the fan motor in the plastic cover that you have removed?If so then try and remove the ploystrine cover from the panel. Theres 4 screws holding it on and on some you need to cut the tape around the edge of the panel and remove from there.Then just check theres no ice build up around the fan motor as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Appears there may be another cover but will not come off easily ( do you think this needs to come off) we have put hair dryer on & have lost about 1 -2 pints of water. What would you suggest now?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Yes that panel will need to come off as the evaporator is beind there. If its not comming off then its more then likely ice behind there stopping it. If it just wont move then you will need leave the appliance unplugged for at least 24 hours to allow the ice to melt behind there. As sometimes trying to remove the panel with it all iced up breaks it or can break the evaporator which is then game over for the applaince if the evaporator breaks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It feels like it is stuck on, but back does not feel cold to touch at all now & there is no more water is coming out with hair dryer.Do you think we should leave longer or try switching back on?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Turn it back on then now and see how it goes. It should take an hour or so before you start to feel cooling in there so see how it goes and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, do we need to put the cover back on fully before we start up again?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Yes the covers need to be refitted so the air flow can go through the correct vents.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, we have put it all together & plugged it in, now all of the lights are flashing
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
You need to reset the control. If you have control knobs on there then turn the freezer dial which is the one on the right to off, Wait a few seconds then turn on again. And that will reset it. If this version has buttons then turn it off by holding the 2 buttons on the left together for a few seconds then turn back on again and that will reset it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just done that, thank you. Should we be hearing any noise from it at all, freezer was working before all of this
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
It can take up to 15 minutes for these to kick in after turning it on. So just leave it and then usually between 7 and 15 minutes you will hear it kick in then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fantastic, how do we contact you again if this does not work?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
You will have an email and on there will be a link, Just click the link and you will come back to me here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think I can put the super cool on or not?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
You dont really need to as it wont get it colder any faster.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All working now thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sadly the fridge has stopped working again, so I presume we have a fault. Can you advise on this?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok If it worked for a week or so after defrosting and its done it again then its possibley a faulty defrost heater. To access this you need to completey remove the back panels inside the freezer to reveal the evaporator. Wrapped around this you will see the defrost heater.Follow the wires to the connector block which is the 2 white wires. From there you need a multi meter and test the heater and see if faulty. Its roughly around 500 Ohms. If its faulty then you need to replace the defrost heater, Check that and see what you find and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do, may not be for a day or so as we are going away.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
No worries thats fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, we now have the back panels off & can see the heater. What do we do to test this? Do we need to remove heater or test in place, & do we do it with fridge plugged into mains or not?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Unplug the fridge and then disconnect the wiring in the freezer. There you will see the 2 white heater wires. Test them 2 with your meter for continuity and see what reading you get from there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 2 wires go into a block do we remove them from the block or test them whilst still in it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so I have checked by putting probes onto wire in block & we are getting no reading at all.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
If you get no reading on the 2 white wires then the defrost heater is the fault. But this should be aroud 500 ohms so depending on what meter you use you may want to select a higher ohms scale as if its a low setting then it may not read the heater.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I have tried on a higher setting and got nothing, meter is digital & just sits with a 1 in the display. getting 00.6 from yellow & blue wires when tested.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok so its possible a self rangeing meter so thats good. So from the sounds of this the heater is faulty and that will be causing the issue here. So you need to replace the heater from there and that should cure it for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** have an idea of the part no? Also it appears to be connected at the bottom with rivets, what would I do here?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
The part number for it is C00271078 As to the rivets all you do is carefully prise the cover with the rivets up and it will pop off to allow you to remove it then you just need to push it back down and it should pop back into place. It doesnt always sit as it did when you replace the heaters but ust refit it the best you can and it will be fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all your help
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.