Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

There. I'm not sure if you are able to help me. I have

Hi there.I'm not sure if you are able to help me.
I have a food steamer which I use for my babies meals. I had an incident a couple of weeks ago where I used the steamer on the hob so I could use the extractor fan but I had accidently left the hob on and it has melted the outer casing very slightly on the bottom where the foot and sticker is and one of the vent holes. The unit is still working and I phoned the company who say if it is still working it is fine to use.
My concern is that because I'm using it for food for my baby I was worried incase I may of over heated any of the parts inside with the heat coming up from the bottom I didn't know if the unit would give off any toxins into the food from the element that heats the water? I looked online and read about bpa in plastics and pthlates which concerned me. I just wondered if you could advise me on this at all?Many thanks.Claire.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.

Could you let me have the make and model of your food steamer and I will look up the details and come back to you with the information you require - ian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks.
Yes it's the identity collection food steamer FS 5100 (white) Made by Braun. Here is a picture of the damage if that helps.
Many thanks.
Claire.

Hi Claire,

Leave it with me and I will have a look in the morning and come back to you - if you could resend the picture that would be helpful as it hasn't come through. Many thanks - Ian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will keep trying with picture, having trouble uploading it.
Many thanks for looking into this for me.
Claire.

Try sending it to***@******.*** as an attachment

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will try and do that now as having trouble still on here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
B
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh I think it might of just uploaded?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. I'm just wondering if my picture sent and if you had any information for me as yet.
Many thanks.
Claire.

OK Claire - got the photo and as you say very little damage. With regard to the elements etc, the element is made of metal so that wouldnt have been damaged in anyway so that part is safe - the base area is made of a coloured plastic so would not contain BPAs or Phthales as they are only used in clear plastics. Regarding the BPAs as you are aware these are used in most clear plastic things, I attach an article which will hopefully allow you to make the required decisions re your baby.

http://health.westchestergov.com/bisphenol-a-and-phthalates.

I hope this has set your mind at rest if so would you kindly rate the information given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page. If you need further advice do come back to me. Thank you for using JA and have a great evening - Ian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian.
Thanks for your reassuring reply. That's great. I have tried to open the link you sent me but it comes up with an error saying it may of been removed?
Do you think from my picture that the damage is superficial? I just worry about the extra heat that would of been going up through the unit from our hob to the element which creates the steam.
Would it of made any toxins or chemicals travel through to the steam? That's my concern really and am unsure to continue to use it.

Yes the damage in my opinion after 25 years in this industry is superficial, Whilst I fully understand your concerns remember that the BPAs etc were not heated only the coloured plastic. Regarding the article, I see what you mean but if you highlight the link and then paste it into your browser it works. For some reason if you copy it and then get google to search it doesnt. Hope this reassurance helps - Ian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm I seem to have trouble opening it still even when I paste it into my browser? There wouldn't of been any clear plastic inside the unit would there or any other parts that could give off anything in the base? Again I just keep thinking about the heat that would have been going through as I was using the steamer for quite a while before I realised what had happened.

I think we have to both consider that you wont be happy with this damaged base or its ramifications thereafter. Would it put your mind at rest if I tried to source you another base so that you can replace the damaged one? Your only other option is to throw the one you have away and get another one. With regard to the link it works for me every time.

http://health.westchestergov.com/bisphenol-a-and-phthalates

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry it's working now. I think our internet is playing up this end. Thank you I have read the link information now. Does it mean bpa isn't used in coloured plastics but phthalates are?
I have contacted the company about the possibility in replacing the base. My husband says I'm crazy as its only damaged on the outside but do you think the constant heat through the bottom could of done anything to the inside parts to release anything through the element?
Many thanks.

No as I said earlier the element is made of stainless steel and is a sealed unit, there is no way that anything of that nature could have been given off by the element. If any damage had been done to inner parts the steamer wouldn't work at all as there are a number of safety cut-outs that would have ruptured and shut the appliance down. These safety devices have to be replaced and cannot be reset.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh I see thank you. So any chemicals such as phthalates wouldn't be able to leach out of the unit into the food? That's what I was worried about especially when I'd used it and didn't realise what had happened as I'd given her the food before I realised the bottom had melted.

Two things to consider, firstly the melted item was not part of the cooking area only a case, it had no contact with the item/food being heated. Secondly the results cover long term exposure to these toxins and in all honesty the few short seconds of melt weren't long enough to cause damage. Take this as a lesson in life - when my daughter was small I dropped her on her head, very traumatic at the time and I'll never forget it but shes grown up with children of her own now. It puts a shudder down my spine when I think of it but we all make mistakes and learn by them - Ian.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ian, I'm sure I'm just being a neurotic first time mum! My husband thinks I'm nuts and he's probably right!
Do you know what they mean by " leach" then when they refer to phthalates? You don't think they would be able to rise up through the unit with the heat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for all my questions it's just nice to be able to check with someone who knows about these things as I haven't a clue!

Leach means in simple terms the ability over a long period of time for materials to be extracted from a substance by the action of a percolating liquid ie to allow a liquid to pass through small holes in a solid substance. eg water passing through limestone theerby in this filtering the water and letting us drink 'natural spring water'

So back to the original query - no BPAs in coloured plastic. Phthalates have to leach so bearing in mind that something melted and did not leach there was no ability to contaminate the food eaten. First time around its always the worst, you take everything to extremes and the old folk just shake their heads. Lets be blunt and honest Claire even if all your worries were true (which they aren't) there is nothing you can do about it. Enjoy your baby and get on with life, you wont do it again but at least you will check next time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will definitely check! Sorry I must seem so over the top to you but it's so hard not to panic when there so tiny isn't it. I did say to my husband could he open the bottom of the unit to check no other parts have melted slightly inside or anything like that's I you think that's ok to do? Thanks for explaining the leach thingy so I suppose it could of leached into the air from the melting plastic but that should be ok shouldn't it.

It is always so difficult when you're having to learn as you go along, we all tend to be over protective of our loved ones, it makes it so difficult to let them go later take my word for it. Just remember that you aren't the first one to bring up a young baby and that we've all been where you are and understand.

With regard to the appliance, it will be just fine, if needed the base can always be changed but other than that there is nothing much you can do now. The leaching happened when you burnt it if it happened at all. It went into the air not the food. So as I said before forget about the steamer, change the base if you feel necessary but enjoy you baby, they grow up so fast - Ian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ian. Yes time is whizzing by so I definitely don't want to be spending it worrying. I tested the steamer today with no food in and it appears to be working fine. I just didn't know whether or not to open it up to check for any melted bits inside but like you say it wouldn't work if that was the case. I've been panicking a bit though as my husband confessed tothe same thing happening to him a few weeks back! He said he must of used it with the electric hob accidently on slightly as the bottom was red hot but there wasnt any melting. I just then thought about the chronic exposure thing and if it's happened more than once. I know they say not to heat food in plastic don't they because of leaching so I just worried if it has had the extra heat from the bottom more than once would it have leached more than once? Sorry hope you don't mind me asking .... Again I know!

Just remember we are talking (with leaching) about a material passing itself into a liquid not melting into the air. Let me set you a scenario which may set your mind further at rest - currently the UK uses waste in power stations in a process called 'energy from waste' this uses much that we discard but is not recyclable to generate energy. Some plastics are yet to be able to be recycled and thus go down the energy from waste stream. So stop worrying about your minor hiccup, think about all the particulates that the local bus company pumps out, the CO2 that we dump into the atmosphere and move to the country (laughs) Ian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is so true.. We do eat breath and sleep chemicals it seems. Scary world really.
I was thinking as well the unit gets hot anyway doesn't it from the steam cooking. Do you think though the added heat would of travelled up to the baskets where the food sits. My mind ticking over about it all was thinking what if it made it too hot and that made the plastic leak these Chemicals into the condensation inside the baskets. Or would that only happen if the baskets themselves showed signs of melting.

You've got it in one, if they had melted at all the liquid would have seeped into the electronics and shorted the whole thing out and for sure would have made a real mess of the steamer. The easy answer is to get the old man to take the base off he can and have a look see.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I will do. Will it be easy to see if there's anything damaged? I won't have a clue what I'm
Looking for really. And do you think I'm right about the unit being hot anyway and that's it's purpose? Or do you think the extra heat would of released the pthalates.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian.... I just wondered if my reply reached you. You've probably had enough of me going on I know, sorry in advance m.

Sorry it just popped up with your other one, I'm just finishing for the day but I'll have a look tomorrow and come back to you with my thoughts - Ian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks Ian. I don't mean to hound you but I would very much appreciate that.

Yes if there has been heat damage it will be obvious as either burn marks or melting. I would be most surprised to see any to be honest. Regarding the toxic release, if it did happen it already has, once the plastic solidified no further would be released. So as long as you dont do the same thing again you are perfectly safe.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for coming back to me with your thoughts Ian.
Ahh see I've been thinking that with this whole concern around pthlates that it leaches from plastic whenever plastic is heated. Is that not the case? That's what I've been worrying about really that the whole time I was cooking the food with the electric hob accidently on the phthalates would have been leeching the whole time up into the food?

I have attached the Guardian article to try and get you to understand that whatever you do you are going to come across Phthalates and there is nothing you can do to avoid this. -- http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/feb/10/phthalates-plastics-chemicals-research-analysis -- even if you take all steps to pick items that you think might have them in there makeup there are processes used in industry that use the plastics containing them. Perhaps the cap on top of the baby powder or the disposable nappie bag contain them? I really hope that you can see that there is no point in worrying about what may or may not happen. From the point of view of the melted plastic - forget about it, any toxins that were given off (if any) would go upwards, the cooking area was sealed by steam which increased the pressure inside the cooking trays so that nothing could get in only out. The food was not contaminated nor could it be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much Ian, you've been really kind to spend time on this for me. I had a good read of the article and understand that these pthlates are in everything from baby toys to food and drink.
It's unbelievable really as I thought by steaming my baby's food I was doing the best for her and yet I'm still worrying.
That's a real relief to know that hopefully any toxins would have not been able to affect the food. Do you think that would still be the case if the heat from the hob had heated the whole of the base unit which attaches to the food trays? I was thinking would it of evaporated into the food trays from the hob heat rising up through the unit? This is the steamer we have if you don't mind me showing you except our base is white.

I did look out the diagrams for you steamer prior to coming back to you - I am 100% sure that there is no way that anything harmful will have been able to get into the babys food. The slight damage was to the base casing not the cooking area with its series of heaters and water tank/steamer area. As I said once the steamer started to work the air pressure inside the cook area would have been much higher than outside and there is no way that anything could have been able to get into the cook area. You are starting to speculate here which is causing you more worry than is needed. The whole of the base wasn't heated only a tiny area, insignificant to be honest. 'If' didn't happen and you will for sure ensure that it doesn't - take care and enjoy your baby.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really will. My husband confessed actually to him doing it himself a few weeks back but it didn't melt anything but the bottom was red hot. That worried me further then thinking what if it has happened more times then I'd realised where it has heated the bottom but not melted but hopefully the same advice would apply anyway. Yes it was definitely only the bottom casing that melted but would the heat not of heated the whole bottom unit as it really belts out from the hob?

If it had it would have melted far more than it did, glass topped hobs are thermally protected to stop them getting too hot and damaging the ceramic glass. It would have been a quick burst and then off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it was only on low so it does click on and off thank goodness. But would the heat not still of risen through the unit to the clear plastic shelving. I only thought about that as from what I've read about pthlates it said about the concern around these pthlates when plastic is heated, so I was just worried bout the extra heat going through releasing more of these pthlates.

Just remember that there was air between the base and then another layer of plastic then water. You had two mediums that insulated the other plastic parts and kept them cool - both air and water have to have massive amounts of energy to cause them to transfer heat energy. The base on the other hand had direct contact and even that only just distorted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah ok I see so it wouldn't of travelled up the unit to the steam shelves then. I was thinking the whole unit would of been really hot from the heat going through.

Just remember that the appliance is a 'steamer' it is designed to work at high temperatures in excess of 100C and the melt area was localised to just that really small area.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my husband is home tonight from being away so I'm going to get him to open up the unit to double check there's no other melting.
I did think that as well that the purpose of the steamer is to get hot. But I wasn't sure if the base part was meant to get hot like the steam part and maybe that's where the danger would be with these pthlates and the hob heat. Just to say Thank you for being so patient and thorough with me it's really helped to be able to ask these questions.

A pleasure to help, if you would kindly rate the help given sofar (but do come back to me if you want further information) so that I can shut the information request down on my screen. if you want to chat further just log back in and the call will be routed my way. Thank You for using JA and have a wonderful day with your baby - Ian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh yes of course sorry I forgot about the rate thing. I'll do that now.
I think I feel better about things.
May just I ask what you think about my comment above about the base part probably not made to get as hot as it did with the hob.
Also what I thought about earlier was when we were saying about the food being in a sealed unit I did probably open it a couple of times to see if the fruit or veg was soft enough would that of let these pthlates in? And then I just had one other thing to ask about the fact that obviously I didn't realise that the same thing had kind of happened to my husband and I was unaware and continued to use the steamer after everyday. Do you think that's ok?

Thanks for the rating Claire, come back for a chat or more information at anytime I'm often here during the day but evenings or early mornings are your best time - Have a great day and take care - Ian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will do. Are you not able to comment on my questions above on this thread?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Ian do you mean to post the above as a new question.

No you can continue our conversation here if you wish there is no need to start another topic - slight delay had to go to the supermarket.

The plastic throughout would have been made of the same material as its easier to quantify things from a fire regulation point of view. Regarding the food, I have no doubt you would have smelt the toxic fumes whilst you were testing the food - dont you think? So would have taken the necessary steps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ahh ok thank you. Yes but I was thinking it's the pthlates I mean and I don't think you can detect them through smell can you? Just thinking if the leaching from the bottom went into the air wouldn't this of gone into the food when I was checking it that's what I was thinking. Also in regards ***** ***** bottom I was just meaning that obviously the shelves and steam units were made to get really hot but the bottom casing obviously isn't. It's just I read that again these phthalates that I've Been worrying about are released at high temperatures and with the bottom being red hot I keep thinking there must of been quite a bit of this leaching.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well Ian I got the Mr to open up the base and as you said I can't see any sign of damage or anything. Just wires really and the element which all hopefully looks ok.
That makes me feel a bit better. It's just the whole heat thing on my mind now really. Did you see my thread above?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian.
Just wondered if you received my last couple of messages.Many thanks.Claire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ian do I need to post a new question for this to be picked up again?
Many thanks,
Claire.

Will have a look in the morning, your query was miscategorized and sent to the wrong team. Ian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok, should I cancel the other question posted then and stick to this one?

Yes otherwise you will end up being billed more than once.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok but am I able to still chat to you on this thread? I don't think my last few texts were picked up that was why I started a new one.
Many thanks ,
Claire .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ho Ian.
I think I've closed my other question that was posted to you but never reached you? I just wondered if you had chance the other morning to look at my thread or should I post a new question that will hopefully reach you this time?
Claire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to get back to me Ian so I know whether to wait for an answer or not?

Remember what I told you it can only leach out into something liquid and there was nothing in contact with the heat that contained any liquid. Once the plastic solidified again then no more leaching.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian,
Thanks so much for your reply. I'm sorry it's taken me an age to respond I had trouble being able to log into the website.
Thanks for the further info. So am I right to think the only part that leached was the melting part? Not the extra heat in the whole of the unit from the hob?
I did talk it over with my doctor whilst I was at an appointment and she didn't exactly fill me with confidence. She said we don't know how, if or when pthlates cause cancer and we don't know what happened with the extra heat going through the bottom as this won't of been studied by scientist or doctors. So that made me panic slightly. She also said that its chronic exposure to pthlates that are a concern which I didn't really understand as we are exposed to them everyday aren't we so is that not chronic exposure?
#confused.com
Kind Regards,
Claire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian.
I just wondered if my last reply reached you.
Claire,

Hi again - chronic exposure means working in an environment where you are constantly exposed to these substances - think guys in years gone by that worked in the mines, those using asbestos in the building trade or smoking for 60 years. It does not mean a one off incident with no direct contact with the substance. You are worrying yourself over nothing. Yes as the doctor said they have no research done but that doesnt mean that were it to be done all would be bad. Whats done is done, forget about it otherwise you will worry forever. I would put a small bet on that car exhaust fumes cause more damage to humans than your small upset.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply Ian. Yes I think I've got to try and forget about it now. I think I am probably over thinking things and over analysing. I was just worried with the chronic exposure thing that if I continued to use a new steamer that was made of plastic would that not be chronic exposure type thing where I would be using it everyday for food?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian.
I just wondered if my last reply reached you. Also I forgot to ask you if you knew anything about PfOA's ? In all my reading up surname my panic it said that this is a chemical used in lots of things from carpet cleaning to electrical wiring and is classed as carcinogenic. I just didn't know if it would be used in the wiring in the steamer? It was just another concern in regards ***** ***** that may of been released in the heat. I can post this as a new question if that's what I should do.Many thanks.Claire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian.
I've just returned from holiday and just logged in to see if you were able to pick up my last message?
I can post a new question if needed.Many thanks.Claire.

Remember that they can only leach out if something changes to their make-up such as the melting you had. Under normal opertation this wont happen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian.
Ok thank you I see. I've still not used it as I've been worried about this PTFE or PTFO that I had read about. Did you see my post above? I just wondered if you know anything about this if it would have been used in the wiring in the unit.
Many Thanks,
Claire .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian
I didn't know if your able to comment on my post above.Many thanksClaire .