George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Samsung washing machine WF80F5E2W stopped in mid spin and now

Samsung washing machine WF80F5E2W stopped in mid spin and now will not start a new cycle. It sounds like it is starting but just stops again. We have tried draining, clearing filter, reset by holding temp/spin for 5 seconds but no luck Any suggestions?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 11 months ago.
Does the appliance show any error codes?Does the door lock?When Start is pressed, does it fill with water and then hang??
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi - no error codes shown
Door locks (and red lock sign is lit)
When start is pressed, it does indeed fill with water and then hang.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
or at least, it starts to fill with water. There is maybe 30 seconds of activity before hanging
First point; Remove the rear panel and check the belt from the motor to the pulley of the drum to ensure that it has not come off
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sadly that is way beyond my capabilities, i was hoping you could tell me how to reset the cycle.
Resetting the cycle will not do anything if you are getting a water feed following the Start of the programme it means that your programme is working... The fault will be one of the following:Belt come off the pulleyBrushes in the motor gonePCB fault Although, from your description it is likely to be that the belt has come off as normally otherwise there would be an error code produced.. The belt coming off would not produce the error code as other than the drum not turning all other actions are working as they should do.Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That makes sense, as you say the cycle is starting so i don't think there is anything i can do myself, i will call an engineer out. Thought it was worth asking on a sunday afternoon with a basketful of soggy sheets. Thanks for your suggestions.
Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Husband has just taken the back off and the belt is still attached, and it is driving the drum. Any other thoughts?
Take the motor out and check the two carbon brushes that are attached to the motor... if they are too short they will not allow the motor to turn
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think we really are at the end of our capabilities now, thanks again, i will leave feedback.
Then if you need the services of an engineer, would you like me to see if I can locate one close to you.. If so, please let me know your postcode
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's ok, we will find someone, but thanks for the offer.
You are very welcome.. I look forward to receiving a rating of 3 stars or above. kindest regards
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair