George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Belling gas double oven cooker is cutting out and electric

Belling gas double oven cooker is cutting out and electric clock shuts down for about 20 minutes. When I try and light again (in both main oven and oven grill) it stays on for about 5-10 minutes then cuts out. Oven is quite dirty inside. Any idea on the problem?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 11 months ago.
Please supply the model number of the appliance.. When you try light it again and it shuts down after 5-10 minutes, does the clock go out again? Please be patient as I am on call and may not be able to respond for a few hours
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi George, where wold I find the model number do you think? Yes the clock goes out every time.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi George, where wold I find the model number do you think? Yes the clock goes out every time. it's about 5.5 years old and the only label I can find is quite weathered but could BL70-G or BL7GO
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Looks like the model is the Belling BI70G
Can you tell me if when you are operating the oven you can hear or feel the cooling fan working... This can normally be felt blowing through the cavity openings above the door
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The fan is working
The only things in that case which can cause this event, is either 1. the thermal cutout in the live feed to the timer from the terminal block is operating (THERMAL SWITCH SPECIFICATION 70G - L70c 90G - L100c) 2. the timer electronics themselves are failing in which case you need to replace the clock/timer
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If it's 1 what can I do?
If it is the Safety Cutout then you can replace it... The part number is###-##-####
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
For 1 or 2 do you know what cost it might be for the part and to get someone to replace?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
For 1 or 2 do you know what cost it might be for the parts and to get someone to replace?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is there any chance that the fact the oven is very dirty could be causing problems?
A build-up of dirt in the oven could cause a hotspot that causes the thermal switch to operate... but this would take a considerable amount of dirt of a type that heats up very well for this to happen.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's a possibility as I think we've cleaned it twice in 5.5years! Would you say it'd be worth a try giving it a massive clean first before getting a pro in to look at options 1 or 2?
I would think it is worth a try if the back wall of the oven has accumulated debris
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks George