Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

HiI have a Neff C766 coffee machine that is refusing to

Customer Question

I have a Neff C766 coffee machine that is refusing to make coffee. The milk frother is working fine and the coffee beans are being ground but no coffee comes out. I swapped the brewing unit for a spare to test it but it made no difference.
The ground coffee is not being formed into a 'puck' which leads me to believe that water isn't boiling and percolating through them.
Any advice will be very welcome, thanks.
Nick W
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael an expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.How long has it been since you have done a descale operation on this machine?Also I can tell you how to do this if you need ?Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi MichaelI regularly descale the machine (whenever it asks me to) even though our water is from a spring and we do not have limescale issues. I guess the last time was 2 weeks ago.Nick
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that info. How old is your coffee maker?Also does it make any sounds like it is trying to make coffee?Thanks Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's an old machine; at least 8 years old. It makes the right noises but no coffee comes out. The beans are being ground but end up in the waste tray as dry grounds, not the usual damp "puck".
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Nick, for that information. It sounds like the heater coil in the tube that pulls the coffee up through the grinds has failed. It is common for it to fail after this much time.This would be expensive to have repaired unless you do it yourself with my help. If your a little handy and have a few basic hand tools you can do this pretty easily, i will guide you all the way once you have the part. The best place to get that water pump as its called is :http://www.espares.co.uk/Its best to call them to order this part, and they usually ship the same day you call ;-)Sales0844 9777 888After sales0333 4007 888Monday to Friday 9am to 5:30pm, Closed Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.For security and training purposes, telephone calls may be recorded or monitored.Outside the UK? Call us on: +44 (0) 20 7717 5046.In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate my service thus far.Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you Nick ;-)SincerelyTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much for the information, Michael. I'm confident I can replace the part with your expert help. I'll order it and be back in touch. Have a good weekend.RegardsNick
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Sounds great! If you have any trouble gettign the part from that source please let me know as I have others I can supply to you;-)Have a great weekend as well.Tech Michael
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Also you can try: http://www.neff.co.uk/customer-service.html
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
0344(###) ###-####If you’re in the Republic of Ireland, call us on (01)(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Espares have found the following for me http://www.espares.co.uk/product/es753393/pump?pageNumber=1&SearchTerm=BSH419969 are you able to confirm that is the correct part?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Yes that should do it;-)Let me knwo when you have it in hand.Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great stuff! Thanks again
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome, have a great weekend ;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi MichaelI have the spare part. It's 16:00 and I have to go out in an hour and won't be available until tomorrow morning.Kind regardsNick
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nick, I cant be on til, Wednesday but I will be here all day then ;-)Thanks for your patience Nick.Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perfect. I'll contact you then.Nick
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hey sounds great ;-)Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi MichaelLet me know when you want to start and I can be available within 30 mins.Thanks and regardsNick
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nick, Im here now,Have you opened the unit as of yet, if not please remove the screws so you can open the case. If you think you may forget where a part or wires go, take many pics as you disassemble the unit ;-)Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi MichaelMine is a built-in unit, which slides out of the cabinet so that I can access coffee hopper and water container. Do you know if the pump located at the front or the rear of the machine?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi its kind of in the rear, and any electrical service on this one should be done after it is removed from its built in encloseure or mounting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I be back in touch after I've disassembled what I need to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I have taken the machine out of it's mounting and removed the rear panel. It looks like the pump is located behind the white electrical connecting block (shown in the [hopefully] attached image) but I have been unable to remove the side panel, against which the water reservoir sits when the machine is in use. It's almost as if the side panel is secured by plastic lugs and would pop off. I'm nervous of damaging it, however. Any ideas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ignore my last message - all is revealed!I have access to the pump
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Awesome!Let me know how things are going and if that solves your issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Things would be going better if I hands the hands of a 9-year old girl but I'm in the final stages. Only the last pipe to connect but it's very fiddly. Will be in touch when I've finished; hopefully while I'm sipping a cup of coffee.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi lol, I know they dont leave much room for working on these as with most things these days. Keep me posted ;-) Ask me if you get stuck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok; all finished and coffee machine back in place. Unfortunately, the problem has not been resolved.First attempt at making coffee resulted in beans being ground, machine making the correct noises, no coffee being produced, ground coffee in the waste container and clean water in the salver. Exactly the same result as before I changed the pump.What's the next step?RegardsNick
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nick, I need to you to do this.Mix this 50 50, white distilled vinegar and distilled water only!Heat it till its hot but not boiling, then fill the machine with that.Next, let that sit for 8 hours, ten try to run the machine, keep trying this for about 4 cycles, this usually works about 75% of the time.Let me knwo how that goes, if it works great! If not I will tell you the only other part responsible is the heater tube assembly that would need to be replaced or checked to be sure that its Thermal fuse is still good. Its located at the end of that part;-)Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi MichaelI'll try the vinegar and distilled water and let you know how I get on. It may take me a few days to do this as I need to source some distilled water and then I'm away for the weekend.Thanks and regardsNick
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good Nick, Ill be here when you are ready because if that doesnt work, you will need a different part as explained.Tech Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi MichaelThe vinegar and distilled water trick didn't work.What's next please?RegardsNick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi MichaelWhat's the next step please?Nick
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nick, Im away for the next few days but I will be back, my Grandma passed away yesterday.I will contact you on Monday and I will tell you whats next, were getting close,. I know you dont have a lot of electronic test equip but we can get past this ;-)Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi MichaelI'm sorry for your loss. Contact me at your convenience.I do have a multi tester.Kind regardsNick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi MichaelIt has been nearly a month since my coffee machine stopped working and I am keen to get this matter resolved as soon as possible. Please contact me at your earliest convenience to let me know the next step.Thanks and regardsNick
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nick sorry to hear that.Im here when you need me,Did the solution I of Vinegar and water do anything at all?Thanks If nit then you need the heater unit that pulls the water up through the coffee etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See my answer of 4th May. Vinegar and water no goodCan you give me the details of the heater unit please?ThanksNick
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nick,The part you need unfortunately is the main coffee unit. It pulls the water up through the system and then can dispense the coffee.Espares has this part as well as Neff themselves.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the following you wrote on the 27th April?Let me knwo how that goes, if it works great! If not I will tell you the only other part responsible is the heater tube assembly that would need to be replaced or checked to be sure that its Thermal fuse is still good. Its located at the end of that part;-)Do I need to check the Thermal fuse? You asked whether I had a tester.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi If you have checked the thermal fuse on the heater tube assembly and that is good, then the heater tube assembly is bad.Bu it may also be called a main brew unit on your model ;-)
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Basically you will just be checking any thermal fuses for continuity.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the point we were at before. I was awaiting instructions re the heater tube assembly and I can test for continuity but I need to know what I'm looking for. ie how do I get to the heater tube assembly and, thereby, the fuse?Incidentally, I have an old brewing unit like this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-Brewing-group-V2-Bosch-648024-Brewing-unit-Neff-Siemens-Coffee-machine-/222003079737?hash=item33b06a2a39:g:nLAAAOSwMmBV2he8) and I swapped them before I contacted and the fault wasn't cured.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
You may need either a Thermal fuse or more likely since you already replaced that part you will need a main board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Michael, you're misunderstanding me.Your last instructions to me before May 6th were that I needed to check the heater tube assembly and the fuse. I have done neither because I was awaiting further details. Today you tell me I may need a new heater unit or it may be called a brewing unit.I told you that I have a spare brewing unit and I swapped them when I started having problems with my machine but it made no difference.You just mentioned a 'main board' which is yet another element.Can we take one thing at a time? Please instruct me how to find the fuse in the heater tube assembly.ThanksNick
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi on that one it shoudl be outside the heater unit. if you dont see one and in this case I am sure the new heater unit is good. I suspect, now after all you have told me was done, that you will end up needing a new main control board .