Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have replaced the heater element on my beko dcu8230 it works

I have replaced the heater element on my beko dcu8230 it works when just plugged in but doesn't when put in position? When just plugged in I have wiggled all cables and it stays on but when I put it in position, nothing?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 9 months ago.
Hi When you say it doesnt work when put into position do you mean when its pushed back under a unit? Did it do this before the heater was replaced? Regards
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's in the garage, I took the old heater off because it kept tripping the lecky. When I fitted the new one I ran the dryer to check it comes on and it does. Once I put the heater to the dryer it switches off or if I fit it after switching off it does not heat?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just plugged the element in and it comes on, I try and fit to machine it doesn't come on?
Ok so you mean the heater isnt comming on when you start the dryer when its fitted onto the dryer?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes correct
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No thanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Any ideas
Ok if the heater isnt comming on when fitted to the dryer then its going to be the control board itself at fault here. As its not un usuall for the heater to fail and it takes the control board out as ive replaced many boards and heaters on these. So im afraid to fix this you will need to replaced the control board as well and that will get the dryer heating again from there.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Why is it working but stops when in position?
Im not understanding what you mean by it stops in position. Are you testing the heater when its not fitted to the dryer? Have you bench tested the heater to get it to come on?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The heater comes on when I just plug the heater element in and place loose. Elements are red hot. I switch off and fit to back of the dyer with x3 screws and it won't heat up? Wiring ok don't understand?
Ok im with you now. When fitted back to the dryer are you testing it with the heater cover back on so its air tight and then feel inside the drum after its been running for a few minutes to check for heat?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I fitted the element then fitted the big cover. Tested and it didn't work. Took back cover off again and took 3 screws out tested element and it was red hot. Put x3 screws back in and nothing. Are you suggesting the back panel needs to be in place? I thought maybe the fan air was switching it off but it only switched off when put back in position?
The reason i said to check it with the cover on is ive seen people set it going with the panel off. So as the fan blows the air through the heater it looks like it isnt glowing and doesnt get that hot. Were as with the heater cover fitted it will guide the heat into the drum rather then just out the back. As to the fan switching off it doesnt as the fan is actually attched to the motor so as long as the motor is running then the fan will turn. But as to the fault with the heater cover fitted the thermistor will start to pick up the heat temperture due to it being air tight and if the control board is faulty then it picks up wrong readings from the thermistor and cuts the heater out. So as the heater is new then we can rule that out so all you are left with is the control board which i said we do replace loads of so its not uncommon for them to fail.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How much are they, where is the best place to get one from and what is the part number?
The boards are around the £50-60 mark and the part number is(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, I wasn't sure about replacing the main board so I checked the continuity on the thermostats on the heater and all was ok, I fitted the old one back and all is ok. You need to advise me more on how else to diagnose issues with main board otherwise I would have paid for one.
We dont go down to conponment level on the board so if the board fails we dont diagnose the fault on the board we just replace them. As to the fault now are you saying its working ok with the old heater fitted back on instead of the new heater?If so then what was the orignal fault with the dryer?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Original fault was tripping the electric. One the thermostat was disconnected it never tripped. Connected back it tripped
Ok this is a classic heater fault. But now with the old heater fitted on does it seem to be working ok now?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes for some reason
Ok what could have have happened is water got onto the old heater and this caused the tripping as it does happen. With it being disconnected for a while its dried itself out and the earth fault will have cleared. So when its refitted several days later the fault clears itself and works as normal again from there. So the fault would have been a faulty new heater. As if its working ok with the older heater fitted then it will be a faulty new heater causing the fault you had. So the reason why i said the board was faulty was because you said the heater was new and was testing ok. But with the old heater fitted proves the new heater is faulty here. So see how it goes with the old heater on and fingers crossed its fully dried out and will work fine from there.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hopefully