George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Hotpoint future fridge-freezer model FFA74P, my problem

I have a Hotpoint future fridge-freezer model FFA74P, my problem is, that the freezer door will not close and seal properly as the two larger drawers don`t seem to go back far enough and it causes the red LED to come on meaning the freezer temp is too high, can you suggest a cure for me as a new fridge freezer is out of the question at the moment,
thankyou
regards
Rodger Cox (*****@******.***)
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 11 months ago.
Hello Rodger, my name is***** you tell me how long this has been happening?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
about 2 years
Are you saying that the door has been open for 2 years?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
not sure but the red warning light has been going on and off for that time until the freezer cools down enough and stays off for about 20/26 hours then it comes on again, as I said the two drawers don't seem to go back far enough and it seems to me that they are stopping the door from closing and sealing properly
If the drawers are removed, can you see any ice behind them? If you swap the two drawers, do they then fit?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I cannot see any ice as there is a fan shroud at the back, no I cannot swap the drawers as they are two different sizes, the smaller one is original but the 240mm one is brand new, about 3 weeks old
If you take out the new one, can you then shut the door successfully?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it does shut a bit better, but the new drawer is the same size as the original 240mm drawer
Can you remove the original drawer also, then tell me if the door closes fully
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am just wondering if I defrost the freezer if it would make any difference
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it shuts better but not as fully as the fridge door does
Well, my next question was to be; If you can shut the door after removing both of those drawers, can you see any ice or frost, or deformation from what might be ice behind the rear panel... So you are thinking on the same lines as me...There is also a possibility that the door seal is deformed and causing this. So Yes, if it is at all possible, store what food you have in the freezer then defrost it.. Return to me once this is done.. Meanwhile, please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have taken all 4 drawers out and it shuts properly I think that the fan shroud may have something to do with it, can it be replaced or might there be some ice behind it
I would suggest that you may have ice behind it...Yes it can be replaced.
Defrost it and lets see what happens