Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

There, I need to replace a washing machine but the machine

Customer Question

Hi there, I need to replace a washing machine but the machine is not plugged into the wall. Instead, the wire has been cut and re-connected to a wire that leads to a 'Superswitch Immersion Heater Timer' affixed to the wall. A delivery man refused to have anything to do with this set up and the washer was sent back. I wasn't there at the time and I would have tried to sort it out. What would you recommend, please? I'm thinking to switch off the main fuses in the house, undo the connection with the old machine and the heater timer, take the plug off the new machine and reconnect - and carry on like that. Or I could plug in the new washer to a proper plug but then I'd be 'tying off' the bare wires from the immersion timer.
Any help would be appreciated. Best, Jon
Expert:  Michael replied 11 months ago.
Hi Jon, I am Tech Michael an expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.I would recommend hooking it up directly to a power outlet myself.You could easily wire this to the timer, but that makes no sense to me either so I have to agree with the installer. lol.I will help you either way Jon.If you can send me a couple pics of the timer setup and your typical plug in for the washer what would help a lot;-)In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate my service thus far.Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank youSincerelyTech Michael
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Michael, Thanks for this. Am new to the site but of course I'll rate you properly, cheers ***** ***** help. I've attached a couple of pics. It's a strange setup left by the previous owner. I was really wondering, if we do simply plug the new washer into a proper socket, how do i make safe the wires which will coming form the heater timer (which I don't think is even used, other than a power source for the washer). And IF I decided to wire it up the same, am I risking a shock if everything is switched off? Thanks again, Jon
Expert:  Michael replied 11 months ago.
Hey thank you for the great pics, and info. I agree with you, you dont need the heater. SO you can disregard that. But yes My advice would be to hook it in to a regular outlet if one is available, if not you can wire it direct int to that circuit, i will help all the way through this if you need?In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate my service thus far.Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you Jon ;-)SincerelyTech Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Michael, Thought I had rated already but I hadn't submitted, done it now. So, if I decide to wire it up exactly the same as it is now, it's simply a matter of joining the correct wires, just like wiring a plug. I can manage that as I've reconnected lawn mower wires (don't ask) and other appliances over the years. If i switch off everything at the main fuse box in the house, I'm safe, right?
And if I go for the normal plug in option, how do i make safe the cables from the heater, just wrap it in insulator wire and keep it out of the way? (now I really am sounding amateur). Thanks again, and really sorry I didn't leave a tip, little short right now, hopefully you get something proper for this help. Best, Jon
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi again, Michael. I think I'll be getting a new one delivered next week. Can you advise me on the safety of what I'm planning, please? Either plugging in the new washer normally and tying off the end of the bare flex from the heater timer OR connecting the two cables together. Happy to do either depending on safety. Thanks, ***** ***** Jon
Expert:  Michael replied 11 months ago.
Hi Jon, it shoudl be pretty straight forward and simple. \ You can either plug the unit in by adding the outlet for the cord, or cutting the cord and connecting it to the lease like ones in the picture you sent;-)Either way its acceptable and safe ;-)Let me knwo if you need me further at any time during this installation.Thanks Jon.Tech Michael