Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have an old Stoves double gas oven model 61 GDO. The digital

i have an old Stoves double gas oven model 61 GDO. The digital timer is no longer working -in that the display is not visible. it has 3 buttons under it but without markings.
However it is making a complete noise. It did this once before and somehow by pushing a combination of buttons i managed to turn it off. However it has started again and is going non stop. it is loud enough i can hear it 15 feet away.
Is there either a way to disconnect the clock or turn it off?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 11 months ago.
Hi Im afraid as you have worked out the timer unit is faulty here. Pressign the buttons can somtimes stop it but to be honest if the display have gone off then i dont think you will stop the noise by pessing the buttons. Now for this you will need to either replace the timer with a new one or you can link it out. To do this it involves bypassing the wiirng to the timer and linking the timer unit completey. If this is something you want to do then you need to pull the oven out and remove the top panel and there you will see the wiring going to the timer. Take a picture of the back of the timer along with the wiring and post it on here. Then i will be able to tell you how to bypass the timer from there and link it out completey. Regards
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is the only way to the timer to take the top of the stove off? I cant move the oven as it is too heavy
Im afraid so. Usually the hob top needs to be moved from the oven to access the controls under neath. What you can try first is just open the top oven door and look under the front control panel and remove the screws there.Then pull all the control knobs off and the you may be able to remove the front panel there.Then just see if you are able to access the timer from there. But personally from what i remember on these the top panel needs to be removed to be able to access it, Sorry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i think you are right asbthere are no screws visible- I am obviously going to have to call out an engineer to turn off a clock - great design! one last question - although really annoying is this broken clock in any way unsafe ?
No its not normally unsafe. As its a faulty relay on there so it wont cause any other problem in there other then what its doing now. Just best off when not using it switch it off at the mains at least it will be quite. Juts turn it back on when you need to the use it and the rest should still work fine.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks was going to try and turn it off at mains but cant find it - i assume they helpfully plugged it in behind the oven! instead will turn it off at the fuse box if i can. thank you for your help - i was very concerned about the safety element.
Your very welcome. Yep its possibley behind it but if you have cuboards either side just have a look in there as sometimes kitchen fitters put them in there instead. But if not then just do it by the fuse box and that will do the job. Also if you could remember to rate the answer as well that would be great. Many thanks
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i will. 5 stars. Thanks and have a good evening.