Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a Panasonic inverter combination microwave oven model

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic inverter combination microwave oven model no. NN-CF778S. It has stopped working. During Grill mode it cut out. Now it will not work in either demo or regular mode. When the door is open the display unit blinks with an R in the top right corner. When the oven door is closed it displays the message "please refer to operating instructions before use" Panasonic's own site suggests setting the clock which I have done several times to no avail. I have disconnected the appliance from the mains for 20+ minutes still no result. An suggestions?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael an expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.The problem with this error condition and this model is a bad door safety interlock.Its basically a set of safety switches inside mounted to a plastic bar.The best way to fix this is by replacing the entire safety bar with the switches already installed and adjusted at the factory.The best place to get that part is : http://www.espares.co.uk/browse/at1095ma308/microwaves/panasonicIt is best to call to order this safety door interlock, they do ship the same day you call and I will help you get this job done if you are a little handy and have some basic hand tools.Sales0844 9777 888After sales0333 4007 888Monday to Friday 9am to 5:30pm, Closed Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.Outside the UK? Call us on: +44 (0) 20 7717 5046.In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate my service thus far.Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank youSincerelyTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** don't understand how this component would fail through the use of the grill. Could you shed some light on this. Upon pressing the following sequence of buttons for the error code; timer button twice, start button once, microwave button the fault code displayed is 7Q7BPQ does this alter the diagnosis any?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, does the unit heat at all in grill mode?ThanksTech Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
none of the functions work. In either operational or demo mode the appliance permits setting of the time. Once the operation is attempted by pressing the start button it emits a long beep displays an "I" (eye) or "D" respectively in the display window then returns to the previous message about reading the instruction manual
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information. This means the door safety interlock system has failed.That is a part which has a few micro switches an it that make the unit non operational if it thinks the door is partially open. In your case it is actually tell you there is a problem with that part. Its pretty easy to replace if you are handy and have a few basic hand tools, you may need a special bit to remove all the case screw, which you can also get when you order the door inter-lock.The best place to get that door switch set is:http://www.espares.co.uk/Sales0844 9777 888After sales0333 4007 888Monday to Friday 9am to 5:30pm, Closed Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.For security and training purposes, telephone calls may be recorded or monitored.Outside the UK? Call us on: +44 (0) 20 7717 5046.In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate my service thus far.Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank youSincerelyTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help thus far. I assume you are an employee of espares? The part was not showing on the espares website. Having just contacted espares by phone they told my that a part enquiry has to be submitted. This will take 1 to 2 days. What does a part enquiry involve?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having had a quick look in the microwave I have identified a part "Panasonic NNCF778SBPQ Thermal Cut-Out" which is adjacent to the grill unit, whose function is described by the following:
"The purpose of the Panasonic Microwave Thermal Cut Out is to disconnect the circuit to the magnetron if it becomes overheated."
Given the nature of the failure do you not think that failure of this component might be a more likely explanation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.