Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have an AEG microwave MCD2660E-m. It won't heat properly

I have an AEG microwave MCD2660E-m. It won't heat properly and have found fuse F2 on the power card blown, thought it might be the high voltage diode, replaced it but still blowing F2.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael an expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.How old is your microwave?What happens when you set a cook time, does it run the whole time? Or stop?And does it blwo the fuse immediatly or take soem time?Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi the Microwave is 8 yrs old, yes it runs the whole cook time set but the F2 fuse which is 8 amps blows after about 1-2 seconds.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thank you this is a sign of a failed magnetron.Its pretty simple to replace and I will assist if you need me?The best place to get that part is: http://www.espares.co.uk/Its best to call to order this part, also they dont list all parts on their site ;-) They do however ship the same day you call them.Sales0844 9777 888After sales0333 4007 888Monday to Friday 9am to 5:30pm, Closed Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays..Outside the UK? Call us on: +44 (0) 20 7717 5046.In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate my service thus far.Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank youSincerelyTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael, I have tested the magnetron, across the contacts I get 0.3 ohms both directions and OL across the terminals and casing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the high voltage diode, I have rechecked both the old one and the new one, the old one is reading 0.01 both ways on my diode function, the new one is reading OL in both directions.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Are you testing the diode in or out of the circuit?And are you familiar with your metes operations?Thanks Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am testing it out of the circuit, I am not an expert but have some knowledge.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you may have a bad NEW diode
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would a faulty diode cause the fuse to blow so quickly. There are 2 fuses on the power card, the main fuse and an 8 amp fuse, it's the 8 amp one that is blowing.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi no unfortunately that has nothing to do with the fuse blowing.Its either going to be a bad transformer or mag tube.But usually it is the mag.I have done thousands of these hands on so I am pretty sure lol.It could be your meter isn't reading that diode correctly due to its extremely high value
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But is that readings from the mag not ok, how do I check the transformer.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, on this one you really cant be sure on the transformer. What you can do is unplug the transformer and see if it will run without blowing the fuse but even that doesnt tell you much. Its just that mot times it is the mag that is shorted.If you want to be sure, buy both parts ;-)But I would advise just the mag.Tech Mike ;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Michael, at 8 years old I think we'll just get a new one, I've priced the 2 parts and it's hardly worth repairing. Thank you very much for your assistance, I've also learned something today so that's good.