Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Siemens GU15DA50GB - Integrated Undercounter Freezer We have

Customer Question

Siemens GU15DA50GB - Integrated Undercounter Freezer
We have the above Siemens appliance which has worked very well for a number of years but this week we found that it had de-frosted overnight. There had been no power cuts and there is still power to the appliance. We increased the temperature setting from No.04 to No.07 and waited. The appliance is making a noise as if the compressor/chiller was starting but after a few seconds there is a click and then silence as if the start-up procedure had been cancelled. This seems to be repeating every 15 - 20mins or so and the freezer is not achieving temperature. The appliance is built and will be difficult to remove and replace without damaging kitchen finishes so we just wondered whether this could be a simple re-set button somewhere or whether it is indicative of the compressor failing ?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon my name is ***** ***** the click that you hear is a thermal safety switch that is fitted to the side of the compressor, if the compressor tries to draw more power than it is designed to this cut out shuts the power off to the compressor. This is caused by one of the two faults -a. The appliance has lost all its refrigerant and the compressor has overheated ORb. The compressor has mechanically seized. In both cases you will need the services of a refrigeration engineer as this is not a DIY project. Let me warn you that this is a high cost repair - the compressor alone costs approximately £200 and Labour and you will be lucky to get much change out of £350.Having given you the information requested would you now kindly rate the service by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page, once done you can come back to me with any further questions on a free of charge basis. Thank you for using JA and have a great weekend - Ian
Do you require further assistance? If not would you kindly rate the questions so that I can close the information request down on the system - Ian