Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

We have returned from a 7 day holiday our dishwasher when turned

We have returned from a 7 day holiday our dishwasher when turned on is tripping the RCD in our fuse box. I have checked input water feed and drain / pump as set down in manual yet it still trips RCD.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi Can you post the model number please. Also is it tripping out as soon as you turn it on or is it during the cycle it trips out? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model Number SN65E000GN six years old machine. It trips during the cycle. And my wife is having difficulty setting the programe as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Note my wife thinks that programming problem is cxaused by machine not completing the initial setting she put in when we returned from vacation NB the Model number ends in B not N as shown originally.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok the most common cause for tripping on these is the wash heater. The heaters on these are attached to the front of the heater and they can fail to earth so during the cycle it will trip the rcd out. If you are looking at fixing this yourself then what you need to do is pull the dishwasher out from under the unit and lie it on its back.From there remove the plastic base cover.There you will see the wash motor. On the front of this is the heater. Disconnect the wires to the heater and tape them up out of the way.Then set the dishwasher going on a wash cycle and see how it goes from there. If it goes through the cycle without tripping then we know its the heater and it will need to be replaced. But the cycle will take longer then normal with the heater disconnected so bear with it while its going. So if its fine with the heater disconnected then you need to replace the motor unit as it all comes as a complete unit on these. Try that and see how it goes and let me know. Regards
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Plus if theres a fault on the heater it will also cause problems with the programming on there which looks like its doing now for you with the problems its causing here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK sounds feasible the electrician approached when the lights went out said that it would be an appliance with a heater and clearly the dishwasher has casued this I have set the washer away following the maitainance work I carried out and now 10 minutes into the cycle the trip has not happened I will wait and see and revert
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok just see how that goes. Sometimes it can be as the heater goes hotter thats when they fail more to earth which causes the rcd tripping. But you never know fingers crossed this could be fine now after the work you have just done on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help so far how do I get back to you if I have to, I have not used this service before
RegardsStuart
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
You will have an email and on there will be a link back to this thread if you need more help on this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help we have decided to replace the unit due to its age and the potential cost of repair. My wife was never a lover of the machine over the six years we had it, heres hopingfor the new oneRegards
Stuart