George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Neff T44T80N0 induction hob won't switch on. Only flashes dashes every 20 seconds or

Neff T44T80N0 induction hob won't switch on. Only flashes dashes every 20 seconds or so.
Frustrated retired electronic and electrical engineer.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 10 months ago.
Hi Gordon, my name is***** you tell me how many times the device flashes the dashes before then pausing to restart the sequence?.Please be patient as I am on call, so will be in and out, sometimes out for hours at a time, and therefore may not be able to answer you immediately
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Once
Just one flash?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes
Ok sir, I am not in work yet but will look what the error code means, and once I can access the documents and will come back to you later today.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What sort of time scales are we talking about
Probably after 2pm
Gordon, is it possible you have the FD from the side of the ENR that you have given me?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Only other number is CIF A28893550
Gordon, are you around?
The flashing of the dashes infer a communications error between the Control panel and the mainboard (Left one)
If you check the ribbon cables and it doesn't sort the problem for you, then suspect the Control Panel itself
Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do I split the under plastic cover from the metal undercarriage. Wiring between components attached to each seem to prevent sufficient access.
Once you have the hob out of the unit, there are screws on the base of the hob that once undone will allow you to remove the ceramic glass cover. Once the glass cover is removed you can access all parts quiet easily.
Correction.. On that model the screws are surrounding the edge of the appliance
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The hob is in otherwise perfect condition and ideally situated with no other heat source.
This is bound to be a common fault.
Depends on your definition of common... If you sell 1 million but there are only 100 that are affected... Not common, but common enough to be known fault I would say.
Can you see this diagram?
You can see the screws holes on the image.. The screws are all around the edge..I must now go out on call and will be out for some time. I may therefore not be able to answer you immediately should you need further assistance.Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for everything so far.
I'm to out for the rest of the day and don't know exactly when I'll be able to dismantle it.
I'll let you know how I get on in a day or two.
OK Gordon.. I look forward to chatting with you then, when a rating of my assistance to you would be greatly appreciated
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Finally fixed. Turned out to be the main board. The lefthand one.
Very expensive being about a quarter of the price of a new unit.
It would be nice to be able to identify the component at fault but no one does that any more.
Thanks for your responses that got me started. NEFF were also very helpful.