Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I'm Keith and I have a Baumatic range model BT 3500

Customer Question

hello, i'm Keith and I have a Baumatic range model BT 3500 SS. yesterday I switched on the oven, the circuit breaker switched everything off, now the oven is not heating although the fan and grill (within the oven) are working - can you help pease?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 8 months ago.
Hi Keith my name is ***** ***** it will be either your fan oven element (the post likely) or alternatively your oven selector switch. First thing I would be checking is this - http://www.partmaster.co.uk/cooker-oven/bt3500ss/fan-oven-element/product.pl?pid=1197150&shop=baumatic&path=110822&model_ref=89980 -- forget the price I can source you one for much cheaper than lhis just find and check out the element. It is behind the back cover inside the main oven cavity but is held in place by nuts at the other side of the panel. If it has blown you can usually see a split to the metal or a melted section - Ian
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** is similar to that shown but has 2 rather than 3 coils. I have inspected the coil visually and by touch and cannot find a split or melted section. Thanks Keith
Hi Keith - the number of turns is not important as long as the power rating is the same. Do you have a mains tester with two probes or a multimeter?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry, I have neither but could get one (from B&Q?) later today if necessary. Regards Keith
That would be fine Keith, get a cheap one but one that has got a continuity beeper and also is able to measure Volts AC Once you have it to hand come back to me and I'll take you through the tests - Ian
OK I have to head out and do some jobs will be back in around 4pm if you wan to proceed then - Ian
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ian, I have bought a Stanley multimeter, DC/AC 0-300v. Ready for the next step?
OK has it got a beeper? ie when you select this function and put the two ends together it beeps?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry this will sound pathetic. There is a rectangular box with digital readout at top and a dial below with a range of what ain't guess are voltages. Below the dial are 3 Jack sockets, red 10A, red V?mAC and black COM.
It comes with a pair of black and red leads with a"pen" at one end and a solid plastic right angle at the other end and also a lead with black and red Jack plugs at one end and share wire at the other end of the lead. I have not been able to produce a buzz from the device yet!
OK black right angled end goes into 'com' red right angled end goes int ' 'v mAC' - if you let me have the stanley model number I can have a look at the handbook and we're singing off the same songsheet.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Stanley STHTO-77364.
The right angles ends are too big to fit into the sockets.
The packaging shows a buzzer/bell facility
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stanley+multimeter&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&imgil=gvkuBkte4-IFQM%253A%253Bd93XLsOSiH3qHM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fm.ebay.com.au%25252Fitm%25252F321692948818%25253Fnav%2525253DVI&source=iu&pf=m&fir=gvkuBkte4-IFQM%253A%252Cd93XLsOSiH3qHM%252C_&usg=__4IZV3X4vYsXynMsEj_wp4W6NfeA%3D&ved=0ahUKEwiL2_yr8sDMAhVKAsAKHVEbBPoQyjcINw&ei=ZioqV4uQMcqEgAbRtpDQDw#imgrc=Z5m-AVeTNpy5lM%3A Connect like this, they should fit you just have to push hard.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ian, what the guide did not tell me is that the ends of the right angles have protective caps ..... - they now fit
Got you - give me ten mins as I'm finishing off a quick job.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ian, ready when you are .....
OK off we go sorry for the delay was talking to my Moderator in the USA - I need you to take the back off the appliance, then set the multimeter onto beeper and when you are ready to go ping me - Im just going to grab a cup of tea but will be back in about 3 mins.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
do you mean the back of the oven or pull the range from the wall and remove the back the unit then?
Pull the range from the wall and remove the back to give you access to the wiring that feeds the main oven element. Power off first please. Remember your gymnastics you'll likely need them now.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK, may the a while as all the units are fitted
OK no worries I'll be around and its gone quiet so should be on it straight away.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ian, slight problem! I switched off the circuit breakers for the cooker and then unscrewed the back of the range - with the last screw removed I lifted off the back plate and all the electrics went off - the master circuit breaker had tripped. I reset it and it is OK -so what now? The back has wires attached to it
Thats fine carefully move the back out of the way without pulling off the wires. You now should be able to see the fan oven connectors coming through from the oven rear panel. Remove the two power cables (noting where they came from and also the earth wire. Now with your meter on beep put on probe on one oven connector and the other on the other connector (not the central earth) and tell me if you get a beep ?? I am concerned that even after switching the circuit breakers off you still have power to the unit. Did you check you had the correct ones - if you are powered off you should have no power going to the cooker.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The power issue is what worries me, the circuit breakers are clearly marked within the box, and, is it is now dark and other members of the family need power for other things I cannot turn off all power. I think I will have to leave it until the morning andvturn off all power before proceeding further
OK I will be on here from about 7-30 until 9-15 and then at work until about 4pm when I come back on again so ping me when your are good to go.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Good morning Ian. I have now got cooker in a position where I can fully access back, unfortunately 3 of the wires have become detached as I took backplate off. I am now numbering remaining wires
Do you know where they go?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The 3 wires have become detached from the connection box on the backplate
Do you know where these three wires go? If not we may have a real problem because as you will be aware Baumatic went bust a couple of years ago and getting technical information for their products is difficult to say the least. As you'll remember I did say to be careful and ' carefully move the back out of the way without pulling off the wires'
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
OK I believe you have just been talking to my friend George - we are trying to find a service manual for you as I assume since you havent responded to me above you are not sure where the wires go that have come off.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ian,sorry, George said you would ring me so I have not been monitoring emails. George said he would send you wiring diagram.
I understand you said to remove back carefully, unfortunately I could not get cooker right out as the gas supply lead was trapped and backplate fell the last inch or so and this must be when wires became detached.
Cooker back now fully accessible and there are a few options for detached wires
OK I havent got the wiring diagram yet and George has gone out, will come back to you as soon as it arrives What are the colours of the wires that have come off?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Two red, one blue. I can send you a photo?
Are all the reds and blues down the same side on the connector block? ie left side of main block red and right side of mains block blue - I still havent got the wiring diagram from George.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could be red on one side and blue on the other. As I look at connector block there are 2 blue wires above earths on one side and a red, one whir and one black on the other. There are gaps to accommodate a blue on the blue side and 2 red on the other side
OK thats what I was hoping for - but lets sort out the element problem whilst you have the back out of the way and then when the wiring diagram turns up we can reconnect the three wires. I need you to put the multimeter onto beeper, place the two probe ends together and confirm it beeps.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ian, I am happy to pay extra to do this phone if it helps
OK thats not a problem but I cant do anything until I get the wiring diagram from George, I can then call you with all the info to hand.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
George said he would not be back until 5 ish and I explained I will not be available from about 10.00 am for rest of day. Do you want me to use the Multimeter now?
Yes we can do the heater test, if you put one of the two probes oneach of the two heater terminals (not the center earth) with the wires off do you get a beep?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes it beeps with a read out of 43/44
OK well in that case it is likely that you main oven selector switch has burnt out or the switch mechanism is welded together which is what is causing the oven to trip the electric every time you switch it on. You will need to take the top off the stove and have a visual look at the switch but bearing in mind it is a gas oven you might want to get someone in to do that for you?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK, thanks Ian I will take a step back and decide what to do next, may resume link tomorrow, regards Keith
OK no worries, in the meantime will get the wiring diagram from George sorted.