George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Bosch SMS50T02GB dishwasher. When you try

Hello, I have a Bosch SMS50T02GB dishwasher. When you try to run it it runs for about 2 mins and then the 'check water' light comes on. A plumber has been round and fitted a new water pipe as he said the old one had a kink in it but the problem still remains. Any other ideas?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 10 months ago.
Hello Polly, my name is***** the plumber came out and told you there was kinked.. Was it working prior to that, and was it working following the plumber changing the hose?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, the check water light was coming on before I called the plumber. I was told when the dishwasher was installed that the water pipe was only just long enough and in the past the 'check water' light has occasionally come on and I have found that if I put the machine at a bit of an angle (so there was less tension on the water pipe) that the problem went away. Which is why I assumed that it was a problem with the water pipe and thought that him changing it and extending some piping so it wasn't so stretched would fix things.
Thank you Polly, for that explanation... First thing to do .. Can you ensure that the water has been turned on under the sink to allow the dishwasher to get water.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes it is
Can you tell me; when you start the appliance, does the pump start running?
I must go out on call now, but will be back shortly to continue with your problem.
Hello Polly, I am back
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi. I have been doing some more investigation. I am pretty certain there is a blockage that is stopping the water draining out. There was some water left in the bottom of the machine - when I completely get rid of that (by bailing it out with a small cup) the machine will start, fill with water , work for approx. ten mins and then stop and show the 'check water' sign. And when you open it up there is a layer of water at the bottom of the machine. I cannot figure out where it is meant to drain out of though - it seems almost like a closed system!
That is the next part of my previous question... Can you remove the hose from the drainage point and hold it over a bucket/mop bucket.. Turn the appliance on and let me know if water drains to the bucket.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
just doing that - will let you know!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK so no it isn't draining - nothing at all came out of the hose and it went to 'check water' again and there is a layer of hot water in the bottom of the machine
Ok, thanks for that... Keep the drain hose in the bucket. Press & Hold the start button for 3 seconds Tell me what happens
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think I fixed it! I found a little white cap in the bottom part that came off and the little wheel was all clogged up with food. I have just run the quick wash and it has drained out of the drain pipe. But thank you for your help in identifying the problem - will rate highly. what should pressing the hold and start button for three secs do? Just in case I need for next time!
Pressing and Holding the Start button would reset the appliance and the appliance will then pump out to end the program
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thanks !