Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a Candy Alise washer dryer which was manually stopped

I have a Candy Alise washer dryer which was manually stopped mid cycle and full of water.
Whatever programme I put it on, including the one is had been on, the lock light won't go out so I can't start the machine.
I can't start the drain operation for the same reason.
Many thanks,
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 10 months ago.
OK can you give me the product code that is on the label inside the door frame - it starts with a 3 followed by a number of further numbers
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi again, I can't open the door. The product is Candy Alise washer dryer GOW475
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've now opened the door - the code is 31003587 1442 2827
OK when you are ready I want you to go through a test procedure for me.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay. Can I just add that I've checked and cleaned the waste hose. I can't get into the filter past the twist off cap. Any wash cycle there's still water left. To try to drain it, it just lights the lock button or wants to restart a whole new cycle. This started because someone overloaded the machine I think, and then opened the door mid cycle.Thanks in advance!
OK how are you with hand tools - you will need a screwdriver and a pair of pliers.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yup good with all that, I'll just get them
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay - ready
OK I want just to check that the pump is not blocked before we move forward because if we have this problem its just going to screw up the self test later - Power Off now -- firstly pull the appliance forwards and then gently lower it on to its back, you may have to disconnect the water, electric and drain pipe depending upon how much room you have. Next if you check underneath you will see a couple of nut heads that hold the pump in place. Undo them and the pump should hang down.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay - I've done that - I can't see what you mean by nut heads can you explain?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ah I see them, they're almost soldiered on - my correct tools aren't here, I'll try with what I've got then say ready
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay, ready when you are
Have you got the pump hanging ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yup
OK you need a washing up bowl and old towel to hand - now unclip the pipe that comes from the bottom of the washer drum and connects to the side of the drain pump (unclip drain pump end) and point it down into the washing up bowl. Likely you will find loads of debris and stinky water and perhaps money, hair grips etc sticking out of the side once you have cleared them out come back to me.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
None of that funnily enough.It's full of dylon dye crystals and salt, hardened like rock so will be a little while dissolving it
OK no problems, I'm having problems with the interconnection between the American site and the UK site so if I take a while to come back to you I apologise in advance, Im jumping from one site to the other at the mo trying not to miss anyone.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That's okay. Sounds schizophrenic...!I've found a metal nail file heated up enough to bend it around the u bend which doesn't want to come out...I've had to unclip the drain pipe from the pump as well to clear it and therefore have had to unclip the little electric white plastic clip thing, is that straightforward to put back please?
Shoot me a photo up Im not sure I understand the 'little white plastic clip thing' do you mean that hold the drain pipe onto the pump?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No the red electric wire that clips into the pump, but i've done it - only one way it could go back in.Okay so I've got the clips back on, screwed pump back up...Can I test it now?
Did you manage to get the pump filter out?
If so put it all back together but with the pump filter out - then put it on spin and tell me if the pump impeller X propeller thing is going around fast?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
YupIt's all cleaned out - there was solid crystal crap right through the bend and up the big pipe but all clean now and pump is back in place.I'm going to put it back upright and reconnect the disposal pipe and the water feed pipe - is that okay?
Yes just keep you towel handy as all the water in the back of the tub will try and escape through the filter housing as you have the filter out.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will do....
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay it's all plumbed back in an upright
OK put it on spin and tell me if the pump impeller is spinning at the back of the pump housing?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
All working fine......
OK slap it all back together and you are good to go - well done. Would you now kindly rate the help given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page, once done if you have further questions do come back to me as its free of charge. Thank you for using JA and have a great evening - Ian
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh no... it's leaking.... through the filter... help! I think I put all the clips back on etc...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have to go but I guess I still need help to complete this problem properly please later, so I'll be back later or tomorrow
OK I will be here until 10pm tonight and then from around 7am onwards tomorrow - Ian
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Ian,Thanks for your last note yesterday.You work long hours.... I'll expect a delay in your response today, but thank you in advance for helping me again.I'm on a spin cycle now but I don't know what an impeller is?I'm so disappointed!
OK, firstly the leak, this is usually caused by there being a problem with the ribber seal inside the filter cap or that you have put the filter in 180 degrees out of alignment. Towels down as you check because water will come out. The impeller is the X shaped thing that you can see inside the filter housing at the back. I need you to put the washing machine on spin and tell me if this is going around fast?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi again, yes the impeller is spinning really fast. May I have put the filter back on upside down? Shall I put it on rinse and see where the leak is..?
Yes that fine just needed to check. So check the filter seal and put it all back together and run a rinse checking for leaks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Blimey that was disastrous - it looks like the ribber seal inside the filter cap. The filter is sort of squashed and doesn't fit back properly in the position it was originally in, but I can't work out why - help!!
OK try this, take the seal out of the filter cap carefully and then put it back on with the sides reversed ie the side that was originally facing towards the pump housing is now towards the cap side. Make sure you put the cap in square with the housing and try again.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay. Thank you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry I'm not sure I understand. Reverse the black seal and put it in backwards? It won't go in that way and I can't put the cap into that side?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ah I think the caps gone on squarely, finally. I've just re-rinsed and leak is coming from the top of a column at the back. I'm just going to turn it on it's back so I can see....
Give me a photo of the leaking area if you can.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Last night I had s trickle from the filter cap, that looks tight now, but I can't get ithe seal back into the right position to seal it with the cover.Now I've water pouring out it too and back. I've put it upright and will see if it's the incoming water pipe as I've just re tightened it.
I hope so.
Below are photos of a black plastic item which looks like it came off the end of a screwdriver. I'm now not sure if this is part of the machine. Do you recognise it?
Shall I take back off machine if leak is coming from inside?
Looks like a transit bolt spacer so nothing to do with the leak.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh good, thank you.Water is pouring inside from the top. It maybe just the residual water from being on it's back. Shall I take off the back plate and see? Actually I need to take a break.I'll dry it and try again with the rinse when I get back. If you've got time what is the best position for it to be in for me to see where a leak is coming from?You are incredibly patient. Thank you.
Firstly get hold of a torch, top off and back off if it has one. Then put it on a rinse and see if you can see it dripping down in the base area. Once you have found the link track it back to where it comes from.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi again, if you are there this is where I'm at..
Water gushing out of what's in the attached photo but only when not upright
Still leaking through the pump seal so I'll add those photos after
Thank you in advance
OK is it coming out of where the pipe joins the soap dispenser?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes
OK it is nearly always just where the pipe comes off the dispenser - so unclip the leaking hose, cut about 10mm 1/2 inch off the end and then refit and reclip that should clear the leak there. Once you have sorted that come back to me and we can sort out the other leak.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay. Thank you.
I'm just mopping up the swamp so I can see more clearly whats seeping... back in a min
10-4 I'll get the pasta on then !!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sounds yummy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
omg throw the shrimps on the barbie.... no leaks....But I can't get the cap on the filter through the hole, ie from the front, but I can leave it and pull it through the hole kind of higgledy piggledy... is that dangerous?
OK do you have a hacksaw?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yup
Lets try this before we go drastic - put the seal back on with the tapered piece pointing towards the impeller. ie the way it was originally, now smear Vaseline or Grease around the rubber seal and put it back into the pump housing straight. Tighten up finger tight.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay, done that.
Rinse and leak test?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
All as dry as a nun's drinks cabinet - you are a star
Well done, very impressive and impressed. You are now back on the road and cooking on gas. Pasta was rubbish so I hope the BBQ is better? If you would now most kindly rate the help I have given you by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page I would be most grateful. Once done you can come back to me at any time (tomorrow, next week whenever you like) for further advice on a FOC basis just log on and you will be routed back to me. Thank you for using JA and have a great evening and weekend - Ian You obviously have a different type of Nun in your area - where do you think all the antique hip flasks have disappeared to??
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did my A levels at a boys' catholic boarding school... we girls got away with everything... and that's where the nectar disappeared. Allegedly. I wish my bbq was on... next task clean a few hundred smelly towels in my super fly washing machine.Thanks very much for saying that, I will def come back if I need to. You get a special star for being so patient. Thanks so much. I never knew I could know so much about the inside of a washing machine...Have a great weekend too, Nicola
A pleasure to work with someone who's prepared to have a go. Thank You for the rating and the bonus - looks like I owe you dinner when next you're up my way. Have a great weekend and take care out there with all that laundry.. I don't want you coming back next week wanting to know how to change drum bearings. - Ian