Kelly
Kelly, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Technician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

The motor of my Maytag fridgefrrrzer won't stop running. The

Customer Question

The motor of my Maytag fridgefrrrzer won't stop running. The freezer is full and the fridge is at appropriate temperature. I've vacuumed the bottom as much as I can but it's difficult to reach. Can something be wrong?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! Oftentimes, poor air circulation in the food compartments can cause excessive run times. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No three is no ice on the back wall of the freezer. The motor stops when I open fridge door but I can hear something running in the freezer which may be coming from the top at the back of the freezer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi are you still there!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I have several questions going, sorry.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Is there room for air to move freely around the food?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The freezer is quite full but the fridge has plenty of room for air to circulate
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It is probably nothing to worry about if you have verified the temperatures as good. If the fan is running by the compressor and the coil is clean, I would just keep an eye on it. YOu may just be missing the cycle times. It will run about a 70% duty cycle, maybe more depending on ambient conditions. Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help! Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is ice on the floor of the freezer. Does that imply anything? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is a cycle time. How does that work?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Probably that the defrost drain is plugged. You may have the start of ice building at the bottom of the coil, behind the rear wall, inside the freezer. You could turn it off and leave the doors open for 24 hours to thaw or remove all contents of the freezer and remove the rear panel (Inside the freezer) to manually thaw.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
With a 70% duty cycle, of every ten minutes, it will run 7 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I understand I can ask more questions (for a week) for no additional cost. Is that correct?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I cannot see your account, I only see this question thread. If you message***@******.*** those folks can see the specifics of your account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly. Further to our chat last night - I still have a problem. The motor/fan appeared to continue through the night and I was so fed up this morning I turned it off to get some peace! I also wondered if this might re-boot it. After about 4 hours I put it back on,Nothing happened for 10 minutes then it kicked in and ran for about an hour. It switched off briefly and is now running again.
I have removed 50% of what was in the freezer and moved things around in the fridge, Any more ideas please? Thanks
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to remove the rear panel from inside the freezer to get a look at the frost pattern on the evaporator coil?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No idea but I'll give it a go! Give me a while....Hi Kelly. Right. I've removed the bottom panel which exposed silver tubes running right to left - all frost free
I cant get the top two panels off to see what is behind them Is there an easy way to do that?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The silver tubes is what we need to see. Is the freezer running now? Can you post a picture of the coils, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I switched it off for safety - I'll put it back on now. Will try to work out how to send a picture to you...
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It will need to run for an hour or so to get an accurate look at the frost pattern.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. It's switched on but nothing running. I'll get back to you in an hour hopefully with a picture. Is that OK?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sure, thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You bet!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I switched ff back on at 4.24 and the motor kicked in at 4.35. It's been running ever since. I can't get a picture to you unfortunately. But there is no ice on the coils other than a light dusting of frost.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Is that frost on the entire coil or is there some that is not frosty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like some at the back (behind the front row) are still very silver. The ones at the front are frosty from top to bottom
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the refrigerant level is low, making the compressor run constantly to maintain the temperature. I believe you will need to have it professionally serviced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. So nothing more to be done here? Thanks for all your help. Its been fun!!!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
A sealed system issue is not a DIY repair, so I don't think there is anything else you can do. Thank you.