Kelly
Kelly, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Technician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

I have just moved into a new house and Bosch 5 burner gas hob

I have just moved into a new house and Bosch 5 burner gas hob will not ignite. If I use a match the burner keeps going out
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! Are all burners acting the same? May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
All burners are difficult to light and I'm running out of matches. Unfortunately the previous owners have not left any information on the appliance. It is a 5 burner gas hob - with the big wok burner in the middle - if that is any help!
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
There should be a model tag on the bottom of the unit. Do all of the burners go out if you light them with a match? Is it plugged in? It will need power to ignite.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The appliance is plugged in. I cannot lift the hob off the worktop to see if there is any model number noted. One burner seems to light after 2 or 3 matches, and holding the knob down for 20-30 seconds. Others take several attempts (6 or 7) to light.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Is there a cabinet under it that will allow access to the underside?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Good thinking Batman! I managed to get the label off - It says: BOSCH CIF A-28-893550
E-Nr PCL755MEU /01 FD 8606/00182
Type HSE-7FB4W30 CE-99BM748
Hope this helps
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Excellent! Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
I would start by cleaning the burner grooves with a nylon brush. Make sure the grooves are all very clean and the flame is uniform around the burners. The manual for that unit is available below. Let me know what happens/changes after cleaning. CLICK HERE
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
See the attached page.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will have to reply tomorrow - Am unable to clean all and check them now. Can I contact you tomorrow? Or you have my phone number so we can check on progress! Thanks for your efforts so far.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Sure, just reply when you are able.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
All burners cleaned - still going out immediately I release the knob having held it down for at least 10 seconds. Flame seems regular all round burner - just won't stay on despite repeated attempts.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Do all of the burners act the same, they are all going out?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes. THey all light with a match, I hold them down lighted for 10 - 15 seconds, release them and they go out. I then repeat the process 2 or 3 times and each time they go out. Eventually I use the microwave or oven! Do I need a new hob??
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The electric ignition does not appear to work (unless the fuse has gone in the plug which at present I cannot get at - (maybe my son will be able this evening or tomorrow)
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
It has to have power for the burners to light and stay lit. That is likely the issue!
Kelly, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Technician with over 30 years of experience.