Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a Hotpoint Aquarius FDM 550 that is not cleaning the

I have a Hotpoint Aquarius FDM 550 that is not cleaning the dishes. Checked all filters and spray arms and they are clean and free. Salt and rinse aid all topped up regularly. But today there was a saucepan on the bottom tray that still had cooked rice, not burnt or overdone stuck to it. Any ideas for the next step please?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Can you confirm that the dishwasher is heating the water?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the dishwasher is heating the water.
OK next test - put it onto a wash cycle and with the spray bars pointing from front to back switch it on, leave it for about 30 seconds and then open the door mid cycle and tell me if the spray bars have moved from their original set position.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes they both move.
What detergent are you using and when was the last time you put a cleaner/descaller through the appliance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finish Powerball4 in 1. Last descale probably a couple of months ago.
OK let me just go over a couple of points - there are a number of things that cause poor cleaning, firstly (and dont take this the wrong way) the dishwasher is designed to clean dishes and pans that have been scrapped clean they will not clean off burnt on or congealed food - they may remove it but then they wash the load in dirty water and leave deposits all over the load. Major causes of poor results are no heat, not enough water, no circulation of water or spray bars, no salt, rinse aid and poor quality detergents. Finally semi blocked drainpipes or the drain pipe is connected under a sink without an upward U bent to stop the sink water from flowing back into the dishwasher. We have checked most of those and that only leaves the drain connection and the pipes being full of debris. In your case I would put a cleaner through it any will do, Oust is quite good and you get two sachets so use it one week and then again the next. Secondly change over to Fairy liqitabs putting a tab in the cutlery basket rather than the dispenser - they have a built in cleaner as part of their makeup Try them for a week or so and if that solves the problem alternate your remaining Finish and Fairy until the Finish is used up. I used to use Finish but find Fairy much better. That should keep you going for a while. Would you now kindly rate the information given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page, once done you can come back to me in the future by just logging in. the call is then routed to me directly at no extra cost. keep me in the loop as to how things are going and you can always catch me most days early morning or after 5pm on here. Once you have it all sorted/or not let me know. In the meantime have a good weekend - Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian, thanks for your reply. The pan that was not cleaned had only a few grains of freshly cooked rice on that was not removed in the initial rinse. I will take your advice on the fairy tabs. I am running an espares cleaner through the machine at the moment on the hottest cycle to see if this improves the cleaning. As you say everything else has been covered. Not tried the tab in the cutlery basket so again another thing to try. Will also try the oust as a another treatment as it will not hurt.
Come back to me if you still have problems,