George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a smell of gas coming from the inlet valve of my outside

I have a smell of gas coming from the inlet valve of my outside gas tank. Is this normal?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 10 months ago.
Hello Fran, my name is***** is not normal. Can you describe the setup of gas supply, including type of tank and valve, piping, and appliances that run on the supply.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is a large tank and has one pipe that goes to the house and divides one to the boiler and another to the cooker. It does not supply anything else.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The valve is the same as one that is on a gas cylinder but larger.
How far is the tank from the house?What type of piping into the house? (Copper, Rubber)Are there any joints.. if so, what type and how far from the house?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The tank is about 10 feet from the house, the pipe is copper and there are some joints, however there is no smell coming from the pipes or the joints, only from the valve. There is a hinged cowl covering the valve, the gauge and the wheel to turn the supply on and off. When I lifted the cowl the gas was very strong. When it had dissipated I was able to sniff around and it was very apparent that the smell was coming from the valve.
And you say the gas smell was also inside the property?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes, but very slight. Also it was windy and the wind was blowing from behind the gas tank towards the kitchen. I have a air vent in the wall and I believe the wind was carrying it in through this vent.
This is not normal and you should contact the relevant services (Fire Service, Gas Safety Service) for where you are..As a guide for what to do, I have included the advice to be given if you were in the UK.. BE SAFE NEVER SORRY------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If You Can Smell Gas...No matter where you smell gas close the manual outlet valve on the cylinder(s) or tank(s), turn off all appliances and the property's emergency valve.Open doors and windows.Do not switch any lights or electrical equipment on or off. Call your supplier so can come and make the gas supply safe.Dial 999 to call the fire brigade. Ensure you tell them that there is LPG on the premises. Leave the premises and go to a safe place.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair