Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a 13 year old Miele washing machine which has given

Customer Question

I have a 13 year old Miele washing machine which has given me fantastic service but just recently I have noticed dark streaks on my washing. My mechanic tell me this is a common problem. Can you help please?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Is it noisy on spin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not particularly noisy on spin, for a 13-year old machine
Do the clothes come out smelling musty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
OK only two things cause this, first one is that the front bearing seal is failing and causing grease to be drawn into the wash system. Or it can be a fungus that grows in the appliance which has a habit of falling off onto the clothes. Lets deal with the fungus first --a. Take half a cap of bleach (domestos cap) and put it into the washer, put the washer onto the hottest wash you have and let it go through the program - you will see quite a lot of foam as the bleach will release any residual detergent from the tub area. Once this is done come back to me for the next step - Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologise for my late reply. Yesterday I was out all day and didn't get a chance to take your advice. However I did as you suggested with the bleach and today I have done three white washes. I am pleased to report that there are no dark streaks on my washing. It looks as though we have cracked it! Thank you so much.
OK a pleasure to help, what you will have to do is about once a month or six weeks do the same again or the fungus will reappear. It cannot survive in temperatures of 70C or above and the bleach just clears any residual detergent out at the same time. Would you now kindly rate the information given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page, you can then come back to me at anytime later if you need further advice on a free of charge basis. Thank you for using JA and have a wonderful weekend - Ian.