Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I HAVE A BEKO 1200 SPIN WASHER THAT IS 3 & A HALF YEARS OLD.

I HAVE A BEKO 1200 SPIN WASHER THAT IS 3 & A HALF YEARS OLD. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT, BUT THOUGH IT IS WASHING, SPINNING, EMPTYING THE SAME, IT HAS GOT NOISIER ON THE SPIN CYCLE, FEELS LIKE SOMETHING CATCHING AT BOTTOM OF DRUM & SOMETIMES SLIGHT LEAK FROM FRONT. DRUM IS NOT SCRAPING, FEELS "SPONGY" WHEN SPUN BY HAND.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 10 months ago.
OK good morning Sue my name is ***** ***** I would like you to have a look at something for me. Your appliance has an inner stainless steel tub (that you put your clothes into) and an outer tub. There should be a uniform gap between the two of about 10mm or 1/2 inch - can you see this?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
CAN'T ACTUALLY SEE THE DRUM AS ENCASED, NOT SURE HOW TO GET INTO IT.
Just open the door and you will see the rim of the stainless steel drum and outside of that the rubber door seal, that the area that we are looking at - you dont need to strip anything down.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hi Ian, gap looks fine.
OK are you able to take off the back inspection panel?
Likely the panel your daughter took off.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Possibly, am in wheelchair so not sure if can move washer out far enough.
OK hold on that, if you open the door and then look at the gap that we talked about before can you make the gap between the two drums close by nipping them together with your fingers - ie can you feel an up and down movement by the inner drum inside the outer drum?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No doesn't nip together. drum is" bouncy" but probably no more than usual. does rattle slightly. I have got the inspection panel off.
OK I need you to take off the belt and then tell me if you can feel movement again at the front end?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Cannot remove belt, is too tight. drum does feel loose tho.
OK if you spin it by hand does it feel rough on your finger tips?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no just feels like something catching right in the middle at the base of the drum. sounds rough but not metallic. could something have got caught in it? did lose a sock few weeks ago.
OK in that case we will have to take it to pieces but it wont be easy if you are in a wheelchair, perhaps when your daugnter is around next I can talk her through it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Could but if difficult I'll probably just get someone in. do you know what could be wrong with it?
OK from what you have told me I think that the drum bearings have likely gone - if you can give me the model number I can tell you if they are available or if you have got a sealed tub.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
is WMB81241LB. THOUGHT THAT MIGHT BE IT, LOOKED AT HOW TO REPLACE THEM, DOES NOT LOOK VERY EASY.
Just back give me a moment whilst I check the specs
OK I have had a look at this and the tub assembly comes as a complete unit at a cost of £168 + vat so to be honest with you its not really a cost effective plan to do it. Once you take on the extra labour you will be over the top of a replacement appliance.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok thanks. bit shocked at that & agree a new washer would be a better option. thanks for your help.
I'm afraid it seems to be a sign of the times - I dont like it either as bearing changes used to be a nice little earner but there we go progress mmm yep backwards. Would you now kindly rate the information given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page, once done all further questions are answered free of charge. Thank you for using JA and have a great weekend - Ian.
.
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.