Kelly
Kelly, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Technician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

My ancient zanussi fl828 has stopped working. The light goes on fine, but it won't s

Customer Question

My ancient zanussi fl828 has stopped working. The light goes on fine, but it won't start. I noticed recently it needed the door slamming a few times beforeit would spin, so wondered if the door connection is in trouble. Any ideas?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! The control must see that the door is locked before it will allow a cycle to start. Since you had trouble and had to slam the door prior to the complete failure, it is almost a certainty that the switching in the door lock is faulty and the lock will need to be replaced. There is a wire clamp around the rubber door boot that, when removed, will allow the gasket to be folded back into itself for easy access to the door lock assembly for removal and replacement. Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help! Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like a plastic clamp around the rubber, not wire. Will I be able to get a new one of those or is this machine just too old?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It may be plastic. It might be best to go in from the top, if so. The plastic may break. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FL828/B
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The door lock assembly is available below. CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly
That part is obselete and discontinued. I take it its not possible to buy one?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The company at the link below shows it in stock. CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, thank you. So to fit it, I need to remove the plastic seal that holds the rubber seal in. If that plastic seal breaks, is there something else I can use to hold the rubber seal in place? thanks
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I would not attempt to remove the plastic retainer, I would go down from the top.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry? Yesterday you said that if I removed the gasket holding the rubber seal onto the front, I would be able to roll back the rubber seal and access the lock that way. How can I go in from the top, please?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can, that is the easiest way. However, if the retainer is plastic, it is probably going to break when you remove it. So, if you remove the top, you can reach down from the top.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The top of what, please? the top of the gasket, or the top of the washing machine?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The main metal top of the washing machine.