George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a neff oven B1664N0GB/01 I have just replaced the oven lamp (complete) in the to

I have a neff oven B1664N0GB/01
I have just replaced the oven lamp (complete) in the top right corner of the unit. I turned it on and it initially worked fine but then when i tried it a second time something went wrong. There was a 'zap' and a spark of light which tripped the main fuse box. I reset the fuse box and the oven heats up but now the halogens and the main light no longer work. I have inspected the main bulb, which is intact and one of the halogen bulbs also looks fine.
Grateful for your advice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, no need to call - hit the button by mistake!
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello Manoz, my name is***** you tell me the procedure you used to replace the lamp and holder.Also, you say "one of the Halogen bulbs".. Can you tell me to which Halogen bulbs you are referring?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George,there are 2 halogens near the bottom of the door which only illuminate when the oven door is closed, activated by a small switch at the top left of the door - this switch can be rotated clockwise to activate/deactivate the lights.on the neff spares website they are on page 4, part 401.i have not replaced the halogens, merely removed the cover and the bulb and inspected the bulb.
Can you tell me the procedure you used to replace the oven lamp and holder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i removed the entire oven from its housing, removed the rear top cowling and then pushed the old lamp holder back down into the oven. from the inside of the oven i disconnected the 3 wires and removed the failed unit. i connected the new complete lamp unit, left it dangling inside the oven, turned the oven on and it worked fine. i turned off the oven, pushed the unit back up into its housing so it 'clicked' in. turned on the oven and everything fused.
Ok, remove the ovens top cowling and check the wires that connect to the lamp... Check that there is no chaffing of the wire that could earth to cause the fault you have. Also look for a trapped wire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, when i pushed the lamp holder up and in, i failed to bend the terminals back so they have popped up against the metal casing - doh!
Ok.. All sorted now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lights still wont come on. is it a blown transformer, and if so, how do i test for that?
Which lights.. Oven light or door lights?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
none of the lights
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the call and all of the excellent advice. :-)
You're very welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi George,As you suggested, the fault lay with (three) blown circuits on the controller board. I followed your instructions and repaired them by soldering pieces of wire between the connections. All the lights are working now!So today i've learnt how to solder a circuit board and also how to use a multimeter correctly. All in all a great result, i'm so very, very pleased - thanks a ton!
Thank you for the feedback - I hope you leave that excitement in your feedback of my service. Another appliance saved... An a few hundred pounds saved for you. regardsGeorge