Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a leisure cm10frc electric both ovens and grill and

Customer Question

hi. i have a leisure cm10frc electric both ovens and grill and gas hobs. just changed the clock but got no power to it but the grill works but no oven and the other oven when switch on it cuts everything but hotplate works as well. really puzzled here as i have even reset the grill but makes no difference.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 10 months ago.

Be with you in a second just pulling up the diagrams.

OK do you have a multimeter? Secondly what caused you to change the clock in the first place?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

it had no power to clock and the oven not working thought they be joined so i thought was the clock.

OK that fine - do you have or can you borrow a multimeter and we can do some checks to see where the problem is?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no can not get one

Neon tester - its almost impossible to do fault finding if you have no means of testing the circuits, likely you have already wasted money on a timer that was not required do you have a Maplins near you or somewhere you could buy a cheap meter? If you have one I can talk you through the fix otherwise you are just changing components which may not be faulty.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok ill go get one. is they a time you are around? we can go through the test all at once instead back and forth with responses. i think another day not been used we going to have to buy a new one. been cooking from a bluming microwave a week thinking was the clock as is already

Yes - only time I will be away is between 1130-1245. Buy a meter that can test for AC voltage and continuity (just in case they have no idea in the shop thats a meter with a beeper ie if you put the two probe ends together it beeps) Dont spend more than about £10/15 we are after operation more than accuracy. If you can get cheaper with those facilities even better.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i manage to get one with a beeper. ill catch you in a bit. just got pop out.. see you at 1.

OK

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

right then im back. you ready for us?

Sorry for slight delay got hung up in traffic, I need you to have you multimeter set on beep, test by putting both probes together and they should beep. With access to the main cable connector block at the back. The power off and able to get at the timer cables/connectors. Shout when you are good to go.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i know traffic can be hell at times hey. yep i have access to the block at back. and i am able to get to the timer cables

With the power off - place one prob on the neutral connector in the mains supply block and the other on the neutral connector on the timer and tell me if you get a beep ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes got a beep

OK now do the same but this time do it between the live mains block connector and the live connector on the timer check for a beep?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no beep

OK that what I expected, hang on a second just checking something.

OK if you follow the cable from the timer back does it go to a round thing with two spade connectors bolted to the right hand casing sine inside the back cover ? Looks like this but it can be round - http://www.bekospares.co.uk/cooker-oven/thermostat-toc/product.pl?pid=1965916&path=110870&refine=thermostat

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok ill check bear with me

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

we not got one of them older models dont have them

OK if you follow the cable you may find one of these actually as part of the cable looks like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celsius-Circuit-Thermal-Fuse-250V/dp/B0087ZRHUG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463316884&sr=8-2&keywords=thermal+fuse+240c You got one of these?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ill have a look but dont think so

They are difficult to see as they appear to be part of the cable but they used to be clipped onto the side of the casing too but clipped not bolted. You had an L shaped bracket that came out from the side upright and the fuse clipping into it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

give us 5 minutes we will be back with you were just going to take the back of again and have another look

OK no worries

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok got it what shall i do now

OK with your beeper - put one probe on one end and one on the other I expect you will get no beep ??

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok doing that now

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

correct we had no beep

OK that is the component that has failed, you can either buy a packet of replacements and crimp them on (temperature is written on the side of the fuse or replace with the later one - http://www.espares.co.uk/product/es1502406/bi-metal-thermal-cut-out-and-cables -- which is the complete kit. So well done fault found and you good to go. In the meantime would you kindly rate the information given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page, once done all further questions are free of charge. Just sign back on and the question will be routed to me. Back to cooking now, no more take-aways - Sorry. Have a great afternoon - Ian

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

that is great stuff. i will get this ordered. is it easy to put an new complete kit in. thank you so much. so i taking this will work the clock now as it had no display at all and the ovens did not work

Basically the thermal fuse supplies power to the clock and then the main oven once the clock is set. Its a temperture controlled fuse rather than a power controlled so it can blow when the temperture gets too hot. In reality over a period of time they fail so quite common for them to go. Kit comes complete with cables, a button stat and an offset bracket or you can buy a packet of thermals for about 3 quid and just replace the ruptured one you have in place. Kit comes with instructions but if you get hung up as I said earlier if you log back in you will be routed to me once you have rated the question.

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

hi again. been a while. just come back to the cooker again. replaced the clock and the thermal fuse got the left oven to work and clock but every time i try switch the other oven on the right it trips my electric box now.

Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 9 months ago.

OK if I remember correctly this one is not controlled at all by the clock so likely you have a dead short across either the selector switch or an element.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

are you there??

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

hi again still having problems with this

Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 8 months ago.

Have you checked the element & selector switch?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

yep done all that too. changed clock, thermofuse, element and selector. soon as you switch it on blows my rcb. spent so much money on it. its only worth £300 or less 2nd hand and now does not work. never mind what it cost new many years ago. be lucky to even get my money back on parts if i sold for spares. what else can it be? or is they an answer and cut my loses. could you lead me through a test again with my beeper and multimetre? i mean we did this before and it did work half hr come back to after holiday then nothing again. all i can think about has another element gone but which one

Did it blow the trip before you changed the parts?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

yes it did

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

yes it did