Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

LG DVD and HDD model RHT497H, manufactured August 2009. when

Customer Question

LG DVD and HDD model RHT497H, manufactured August 2009.
when connected to the power, it clicks as though trying to start, then the central circular light flashes with a violet colour, then starts again.
If i try to turn it on, it displays the HELLO and starts scrolling, then the same flash on the circular light.
Is it scrap?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael an expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.How old is your Set?Also were there any power outages that you are aware of just prior to this problem?Also how long does the color appear before it shuts down? Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. i tried to give some of this information in my original question.
Age - The label at the back says manufactured August 2009, and I bought it in October that year.
Power outages - No.
The circular light flashes once - a split second. It doesn't shut down, it just keeps trying to start until I turn off at the mains. If I try to start with the on button the Hello message appears two or three times before the violet flash.Hope this covers everything.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, in this case there is an electronic component failure in the in thermal power supply in the unit to blame for this problem. It is a transformer but they dont sell that part separably, so you would need to buy the whole power board. But in this case it really expensive so I would really recommend replacing the entire unit due the cost of the board :-(Besides the new ones have much more capability and more features and also cost less than that one did years ago;-)I wish I had better news for you on this , I really do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I suspected that would be the case, but good to get a second opinion. Keith
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Keith have a great day and Thank you for the rating ;-)Tech Mike