Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

We have recently bought a new built in fridge freezer, new

We have recently bought a new built in fridge freezer, for our new kitchen. The electrician install plug sockets over the top of the kitchen cupboards. However the new fridge freezers cable is not that long and doesn't reach.I have a plug socket on the wall in front of the freezer, but this would mean running the freezer cable under the plinth and trailing up the wall in front of the built in appliance. Which will ruin the look of the kitchen.Please help.What are my options at this late stage (final) of the kitchenCan I use an extension cable to extend the freezer cable to reach the socket, to avoid the unsightly cable trail, replace the freezers cord, or will I have to install a new socket in a closer location?If it's the latter is this really going to be feasible now all the kitchen cupboards are installed?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi You have 2 choices here. You can either run the appliance on an extension lead as fridge freezers are fine to run on them. Or you can get a longer power cable fitted onto the fridge. As to replace the power cable you need to remove the plastic cover on the side of the compressor and then you can replace the power cable with a longer one that you need.Now if your not confindient in replacing the power cable yourself then you need to get someone in to do it for you. Or the simple thing which i would do is use an extension lead on it as using the extension lead wont cause any problems at all on this. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. That puts my mind at ease. Thank you.