Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

I am trying to change a filter cartridge on a Franke Minerva

Customer Question

Hi - I am trying to change a filter cartridge on a Franke Minerva Boiler Tap. Unfortunately, although I released the pressure, the cartridge would not unscrew and has sheared off, leaving me nothing to grip onto to remove the screw top now stuck in the housing. Any thoughts, please?
Steve
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 6 months ago.
Hi , could you upload a photo?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have some photos, which I can upload to Dropbox, or is there a way of doing it directly through this site. Would it be helpful if we spoke on the phone? 07796 546361.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Alternatively, if you have an email address, I can send the photos to you that way
Hi , yes in the writing box there is an attachment button(paperclip)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
On their way - give me a few minutes
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK - here's one of the new cartridge; one of the old one, showing how much has been sheared off; one of the white plastic housing; and one of the underneath. I can't get a purchase on the red bit to unscrew it.
Hi, I take it ,it just pulls out?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Unfortunately, no. It unscrews counterclockwise
Hi, you have been spinning it anti clockwise as you look at it? As though opening a tap?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I ballsed up, I think. The outer housing is removed by turning it clockwise, and I tried to undo the cartridge the same way. It broke off with very little resistance
Hi, I would put a slotted screwdriver in and hold it at an angle against the side a try to spin it out , or some grips or pliers. Don't worry .it will come out eventually
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks, I'll try the slotted screwdriver - couldn't get a purchase with grips or fine pliers. I'll let you know how I get on
Ok, good luck , but a little determination will do it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Plenty of determination, but the red plastic is soft and is just disintegrating from inside as I turn the screwdriver. Any other thoughts? I guess I could try to detach the white housing and then work on it from above rather than trying to do everything upside down. Otherwise, I suppose I'll have to call Franke on Monday and order a new housing, no?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi - are you able to respond to my last post, or are we done?
Hi, sorry for the delay. If you wore away at it enough do you think you could get it all dislodged and out? Could take a while. .other wise it could be a new housing. If its under warranty you may get it for free.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll give it a go - thanks. Over and out, I guessBestSteve Amiel
All the best with it Steve Best RegardsToby