Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a Siemens fridge freezer and the fridge is not

I have a Siemens fridge freezer and the fridge is not cooling anymore. The freezer part seems to be working just fine.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
If you go around the back and touch the black compressor is it hot or cold to the touch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cold
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry the compressor is hot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The radiator pipes are cold
OK if you sit near the appliance is the compressor running or is it just buzzing for a short while and then clikcing off??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Continuously running.
OK I'm a fridge engineer rather than just a domestic appliance engineer and actually have the same appliance in my home. From what you have told me and my subsequent questions I think you have one of two problems, either the appliance is short of refrigerant (which is also used to keep the motor cool - no refrigerant and the motor starts to overheat) or you have a compressor that is failing and instead of pumping at 100% is now pumping and 70% (this given the same result as being short of refrigerant). This is not a diy project as you need specialised tools to recharge the unit with refrigerant or replace the compressor. Time to call in a applaince engineer who can do 'system work'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks - do you know of any that could come on a Saturday?
Whats your postcode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
EC4Y 8DT
To be honest not in your area - most engineers try and take off Saturday afternnons and Sundays and even if you did find one likely he would charge you £150 call out and then £50 or £60 to do the job (weekend rates) For you it wouldnt make it a viable repair. I'd personally get somewhere to store your stuff over the weekend and get a local guy to do some pressure tests early next week. If its the compressor you might as well scrap the appliance, if its a gas top-up then worth doing. Sorry I cant be more helpful. At least you know what you're dealing with. Would you now kindly rate the information given sofar by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page, once done you can come back to me later for any further help or advice needed. Thanks for using JA and good luck with the repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you