Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have an American style Fridge/freezer GWL227 YBQA with

Customer Question

I have an American style Fridge/freezer GWL227 YBQA with ice/water dispensor which is over 3 years old.
There seems to be a temperature regulation problem. The two displays are marked Max at the top with bars going down to Min at the bottom. The Freezer display is to the left of Refrigerator.
Please could you tell me how to read the temperatures on each of the two displays, is Max/Min referring to the temperature or to the cooling level.
Thanks,
David *******
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi David, I am Tech Michael an expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem

, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)

I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

First lets see what's going on and try to find a cause.

Is there any frost in the inside rear wall of the freezer?

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Is it just getting warm in both the freezer and fridge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It is getting far too cold
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Veggies are. freezing in the lower drawer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean the lower drawer of the fridge.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for that hw is the freezer temp?

And the fridge temp?

Normal or too cold in either one?

I need to knwo that then I can make the diagnosis.

Thank you for your patience.

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perhaps you could try to answer my original question regarding the temperature setting controls
I would be most grateful
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ok,

the settings on the display need to go up in numbers to raise the temp in the fridge. But sometimes when the draws are too cold there is problem.

But Im here when you want to discuss this further ;-)

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about my delays in responding, I am out and using my mobile.It is probably better if I contact you again when I get home in about 20 or 30 minutes
David
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi David thats fine Im here all day today lol ;-)

If you rate my service you wont lose me anyway, no additional cost for that.

Tech Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike,
I am now back home and have just checked the fridge, the thermometer is showing -6C in the center. I will now put another thermometer in the freezer.
David
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hey, sounds great that will help me to know what to advise you as to whats wrong.

Ill be here ;-)

Sincerely ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The freezer temperature is showing -25C right now with the setting on the middle bar. The fridge is showing -6C with it's setting also on the middle bar.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems the freezer is about right but the fridge is too cold??
On this model of LG, in your opinion what is the probable cause?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Thank you sorry for the delay I was helping a customer with a part install all went well ;-)

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

That's ok for now. Thanks for checking that for me.

In this case and because I know this one all too well. I will recommend defrosting this one with the doors open for 24 hours.

That should bring things to normal.

You may have a failed part though but we wont know until you are done with the defrost operation. Also please check the door seals for anywhere they may be drawing in air as that would also cause an issue;-)

Once you have done the defrost you can plug the fridge back in to power and let it run for 24 hours then please let me know how it is doing temp wise?

I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate my service thus far.

Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.

Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Sincerely

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
As I have previously mentioned, there is no frost in either the fridge or the freezer.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi this step has nothing to do with frost that may appear or not on the rear wall ;-)

Its a necessary step ;-)

It helps rule out a few things and resets the system.

Please rate kindly no additional cost for that .

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it has nothing to do with frost, why are you asking me to defrost my appliance that has no frost? I do not understand!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will you be paying for the loss of food if I switch off my LG. I do not think that my insurance will cover the loss but I will call them tomorrow and see what they have to say. If they need to contact you, how do we arrange that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before I consider rating, I would much appreciate an answer to my last communication above.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi David, I am sorry about that but there still may be a chunk of ice behind the rear wall in the freezer which can cause this problem.

I didn't realize that you had a full fridge sorry. The most likely cause of the problem is a bad thermostat that you can replace in this one, but it could also be the control board behind this unit. Both are easy to replace but the board is expensive. So thats why I wanted you to do the defrost, that would give that board time enough to fully reset.

I am a Technician and I am trying to solve this problem for you but these fridges are complicated machines and there are certain procedures I must follow to be sure I diagnose this properly and correctly the first time. This is my livelihood as well, so I want to make sure you don't end up buying the wrong part if one is needed ;-)

Hopefully you understand a bit more on this issue?

I just dont want you to spend money on parts you may not need is all.

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your concern.
Since we use both the fridge and the freezer, both will always contain food.
As I have stated, the problem is with the fridge not the freezer, so I do not understand why you suspect ice behind the freezer. Although I also have an engineering background, I am not a fridge engineer and I am just trying to understand the basis of our problem in order to decide on my next step.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi, the reason I say all I have is that the freezer actually controls all the cooling in this model ;-)

If the fridge isnt working properly it can easily be attributed to a main board issue or the freezer having ice built up behind the rear wall of the freezer. I've been repairing fridge freezers hands on for over 35 years lol ;-)

You could try unplugging this unit for 1 hour and see if that resets things as well?

Tech Mike

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I will try your suggestion for a 1hr shutdown and get back to you.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Sounds great, please rate kindly at this time so I can be assured to remain with you until we have this problem fixed correctly, you will NOT lose me ;-)

Sincerely

Tech Mike

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I shut down the appliance for 2hrs. The fridge temperature is currently the same -6C that it was before.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I do not seem to have had a response from you to my last message
Expert:  Michael replied 12 months ago.

Thanks for that info, I am not on here 24 hours a day lol, even we need rest lol ;-)

The next step is to replace the temp probe in the fridge, its pretty easy to do and you can get that from this source for the best price and reliability.

Please visit: http://www.espares.co.uk/

Its best to call them for this part: 0844 9777 888 to be sure they send the correct part.

Also they ship the same day you call in most cases;-)

Please rate kindly now so I can help you all the way through this repair.

No cost for that.

Tech Mike

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for that. Where in the appliance is the access point to the probe?
David
Expert:  Michael replied 12 months ago.

Hi the new one comes with the instructions and also there are you tube videos for that. But its up top under a plastic plate.

Once you have the new temp probe, let me knwo and I will guide you through the replacment, its a thermister in this fridge.

Very easy to replace it connects tot the controls in the fridge ;-)

Tech Mike

Expert:  Michael replied 12 months ago.

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate my service thus far.

Sincerely

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
This now seems to be good progress. I will trace the part and get back to you.Thanks
David
Expert:  Michael replied 12 months ago.

Sounds good David, but please rate as we can lose each other if the question times out. As it can.

There is no additional cost to rate.

Tech Michael

Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It seems that the model is discontinued and LG have no more sensors (part # ***** 31405604) in stock. I am trying to locate the part at the moment. So far no success.I can see the sensor through a slot in the cover at the top of the fridge compartment. I am sure it just clips on but at the moment I can't see how to release it.David
Expert:  Michael replied 12 months ago.

Hi Dave, I ll check around also for this part, that sucks.

SOmetimes this happens and I have no idea how a company can stop providing parts for something that isn't very old.

I will check my surplus suppliers as well, it may take a day or so for them to get back to me but Im pretty sure there is a replacement that will work for this sensor thanks for your patience.

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have just found out that the part number I gave you is in fact the cover not the sensor behind it. Sorry!!
Expert:  Michael replied 12 months ago.

Hey thats ok, I wasn't going by that anyway lol, Im looking for just the sensor lol

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Michael,I wondered if there was any news on the fridge temp sensor for my LG? Fridge-Freezer.Thanks
David
Expert:  Michael replied 12 months ago.

Hi not as of yet, when I deal with these surplus buyers they always take about a week.:-(

Its just their nature.

But I will let you know as soon as I find out, trust me, I have been a tech here for 9 years and counting and I Always come through ;-)

If I dont here anything before the weekend, and that's always possible, Have a wonderful and safe weekend!

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
OK
David
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
One thing that I mentioned before was that I cannot see how to remove the cover/grill.cowling that is at the top of the refrigerator. The sensor sits behind this cover and can be seen through the grill. It looks like it might just unclip but I do not want to force it. I cannot see a retaining screw but there may well be one.Thanks,
David
Expert:  Michael replied 11 months ago.

Hi Dave, yes on that one I do believe it is held by metal clips, just be gentile and work at the ends for best results and less chance of damage ;-)

Mike

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Which end? Does the panel drop from the top or does it lift from the bottom? On which part exactly do I exert gentle pressure to release the cover? I am assuming that you mean that the clips are on the inside because none are visible.
I have tried u-tube but all the videos were on Later models, nothing older than about 3yrs. They showed lighting modules that screwed in the top of the compartment and sensors behind a removable panel at the rear of the fridge compartment. On my model the cover sits in diagonally accross the top/rear of the compartment with the centre of it being opaque so that the light can shine through it with a gap at the bottom to allow the cold air to flow..Regards,
David