JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

Zanussi washer. display comes on and then goes out

zanussi washer. display comes on and then goes out
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 10 months ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i will wait for a reply. thanks

Thanks for getting back to me.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will help you resolve your washing machine issue.

The nature of the fault would suggest an electrical fault, mostly likely caused by a faulty button, PCB or lose wire.

If you have a multi meter and happy to remove the case, we can look to diagnose the fault, otherwise with this type of fault you will need to call an engineer out, as it requires taking the machine apart.

If you wish to proceed I can talk you through the steps required for fault finding, but first we need to shut off the power and water to the unit. Then remove the rear and front lids.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed.

James

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

hi there. i have good knowledge of machines but find that this fault is very paticular as the same thing happens each time. the machine comes on and the display lights but then it goes out and nothing happens. if you turn the selector knob on it will light up and go out but in less and less time. if you leave the machine for a while it will do the same thing. it is like something heating up and disconnecting faster as you try it.

Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

This sounds a symptom due to a capacitor charge, from off the circuit\capacitors will take a while to charge thus take longer before the system will trip\error, by turning the control knob your telling it to restart but as the circuit is already charged it takes less time before it errors.

This most certainly is caused by a PCB issue, if it is consistent every time.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

hi there. thanks for that. i understand that faulty capacitors can bulg but none are. is there a way to test them. thanks

Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

I dont think its the capacitors causing the issue, just giving you the symptom of the the fault appearing quicker\faster each time you try it.

There is no real way to test the PCB without a circuit diagram, with parts designed to be replaced rather than repaired these days, wiring diagrams for component parts are hard to come by.

However if you are happy to proceed with fault finding I would check all the inputs and outputs to the PCB, so can can find out when it first starts up what its it checking, and when it trips what part of the board is still live.

Another check would be disconnect sensors and start the machine up and see if you can get it to just keep the display on, and then disconnect the power, add another ribbon cable\spade terminal and start it back up and see at which point the fault is induced.

If that doesnt give you any obvious areas to investigate, I would next look at the PCB to see if you can see any burn or cracks on the board itself, blown fuses, a quick way of check would be by doing a continuity test with a multi meter.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

hi there, thanks for your time. i have taken the board from another machine which just seems to have a faulty motor. this board makes the machine stay on but the door locks and now it has an e30 code and does not move on. i appreciate your time with this as it seems to be a common machine to be faulty.

Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

The error code suggests the PCB has failed to detect that the door has been properly locked.

This could be due to a door sensor fault, door wiring loom or you missing a termination on the replacement board.

My suggestion would be find the door sensor, check it with a multi meter and then trace the wire back to the PCB.

It is most likely to just need the door catch adjusting to ensure it makes contact with the sensor.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

hi there. this is a bad machine. i have replaced the door lock and the pressure switch. i will check what you say and get back.

Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Let me know how you get on, appreciate if you can rate the service you have received to date at your earliest opportunity.

JamesI, Handyman
Experience: I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

checked the wires and they seem fine. i have changed the door also. the door lock does sound ok and the door locks. i did blow into the pressure switch and it did start pumping out but it just gave a different fault code.

Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

If the fault code has changed, that suggest you have cleared the issue with the door, but there is another fault present.

What is the next fault code, as you suggest it appears there are multiple faults on this one machine.

James

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

this fault code is e12 code but when you turn the machine off and back on it gives the e30 code again

Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Sounds like the door sensor is not working properly if it keeps showing up as a e30 error, and only clears when you clean it\touch it.

The e12 error is relating to water level, the sensor things the unit is overflowing. I suggest you drain the unit down, replace the door sensor and try again, if you still get E12 you need to look at the water sensor\pressure sensor, but this is starting to sound uneconomical to repair.