JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a Zanussi condenser dryer (Prod No.... Resolved 29

I have a Zanussi condenser dryer (Prod No....
Resolved 29 May 2016
I have a Zanussi condenser dryer (Prod No. 916 094 227) which has recently stopped working.
The appliance still responds when you make program selections, but when you press 'Start' the device hums for a short while, but the motor never kicks in.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We have already disconnected the dryer from the power for several hours before retrying, as well as cleaning out all the filters and interior (panels of the dryer not removed though)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please ignore the 'resolved' comment in the question. It isn't!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Apologies new to this site - happy to do this via email if a phone call isn't needed
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will try and help you with your issue.

It sounds like there may be an issue with a sensor or motor, when you select a program even though it hums does the door lock as if it was starting the program?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi James.Yes it does seem to lock fine. It operates just as normal with the exception of the program properly running (just hearing electronic humming)
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for clarifying if its locking, its unlikely to be a sensor issue.

How old is the unit, and would you say its had allot of use over the years, if so it could be a drive belt or the motor brushes which are fairly cheap to have replaced, as they are consumables which are designed to be replaced every few years.

If you are willing and technically able I can talk you through the process of finding out the specific fault, organising a replacement part and fitting it yourself, you will need a set of screw drivers, and a multi meter.

If you do not want to do this your self, its time to get an engineer in, as this isnt a fix which is designed for consumers, or without taking the machine apart.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK sounds good. We're confident in having you talk through find the fault, organizing a replacement etc....It's 2.5 years old and has had pretty heavy use
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We don't have a multi meter however so will need to buy one today if it's needed
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Firstly you need to unplug the machine, I am struggling to find a machine with that product number, what is the model number of the machine?

In the absence of the specific spec what your look to do is find the motor, most models have the motor located at the bottom so its best to place the unit on the side and you should be able to see right up inside.

With the unit unplugged you need to look for the drive belt which is attached to a large metal case (which is the motor. You should be able to pull the belt with you hand which will be stiff but should allow you to spin the drum, this proves its not the belt or anything mechanical.

If you cant find the motor send me a picture of what you see, once I have the model I can hopefully pull up the diagrams and explain how we can fault find the motor.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks James - I'll start working through that now.The model number is: ZDC37202W
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Right I cant find the engineering manual for this unit however have managed to find some diagrams. It appears the condenser is located at the bottom so it looks like we need to remove the rear panel as you wont be able to see up from the bottom.

The rear is made up of 4-5 parts, three small sections then the large panel. Use a screw driver to remove the rear compartments one part at a time, keep the screws safe and remember which ones go where. It may be useful to take a picture with your phone at each stage as you have to put them back in reverse order.

Once the back is removed you should be able to see the motor and manually move the drive shaft which should move the fan and also the drum.

Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Once you have the motor in sight take a multi meter and with extreme caution plug the unit in with the back removed set the program and use the multi meter to read the mains (230v) going to the two terminals on the motor. Make sure you do not touch any other metal parts when doing this, and once you have taken a reading, unplug the unit and leave for 5 minutes to fully discharge in order to reduce the risk of electric shock.

If you have a voltage reading and the motor is not moving you need to replace the brushes in the motor, if there is no voltage this would indicate some other electrical problem, which I am unable to talk you through troubleshooting remotely, due to limited documentation from the manufacturer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK - we're just buying our multi meter now. The back is off and I've checked that everything with the belt looks fine and the drum can be manually turned
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just double checking that the readings should be taken at these two terminals - where the red blue wires enter the part in the top left of the photo?I can send a wider photo of the whole motor if needed
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am getting a voltage reading when checking the place where I took a photo of.
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

To confirm you took the reading from the motor (which is the device which has the label in it, on the picture provided)?

This would suggest the motor brushes or motor itself has failed, next you need to try and trace where the red and blue wires go into the motor, they should go to two spade terminals, and remove wires from the spade terminals, and then look to see if you can see a small screw or hex bolt next to the spade terminal on the motor, the image I have for the motor makes it difficult to see, but it should be possible to do it without taking the motor out or removing parts of the motor.

Unscrew the spade terminal and a small cover should come away along with a black block about 1-2cm long (this is the carbon brush), it should have a spring attached be careful not to lose it. If the brush is longer than 2cm put it back, and do the same to the other terminal. If its less than 2cm you need to order a new set of motor brushes.

If the brushes are 2cm long or you cant see how to release the motor brushes, you need to look at replacing the motor, a replacement can be ordered here

Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

I just wanted to see how you are progressing with replacing the motor on your dryer, if you require further assistance please let me know.

I would appreciate it if you could rate the assistance provided to date.

James

JamesI, Handyman
Experience: I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.