George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a ZANUSSI ZFT810FW freezer. The red alarm indicator

Customer Question

I have a ZANUSSI ZFT810FW freezer. The red alarm indicator light has started flashing also with audible alarm. I managed to switch off the alarm sound by pressing the fast freeze button but red light flashing is continuing. No further guidance given in the User Manual. Why could this be happening and any recommendations, please? (The appliance motor seems to still be working). Thanks.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 10 months ago.

Hello Robert, my name is George,

Can you remove the drawers from the freezer and tell me:

1. The fan is operating
  2. If there is ice or frost on the back wall of the freezer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi George.
1. Although there is sound of quiet motor, fan isn't turning.
2.No ice or frost on back wall of freezer.

Can you get to the rear of the freezer and feel the temperature of the compressor, also the temperature of the condenser (grill)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi again George.
Do I need to switch off power?

No Robert.. This is just a test for temperature.. You can touch the bowl of the compressor without hazard

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Brilliant! - this will take a few minutes. I'll get back to you shortly...

Ok..

I have been requested to offer you a phone call.. I will do this again, but please do not think that I am harassing you..

(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

If you don't need the Phone Call, let me know

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi again. The compressor bowl is fairly warm and I could feel & hear vibration.
The grill is also warm but not as much as the compressor bowl.

Is there any chance that the door had been left open or was purposely opened and open for a long time?

Can you tell me if the Red Flashing light is still persisting?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
About 5 hours ago my wife opened door and put frozen ice cream tub/carton in freezer and shut door. About 3 hours ago the alarm sounded. I've now noticed that the red light has gone out (in the last 5 minutes) and the yellow fast freeze indicator light has remained on. (It's been on since I cancelled audible alarm).
As I moved (full) freezer baskets to get sight of fan, could it possibly be that an item had jammed against fan and has now been freed up, or is that just coincidence?

Ok, put the baskets back in the freezer, then turn the fast-freeze off.

If you removed the baskets in order to view the fan then nothing could have jammed it. It is possible that it just wasn't on..

Is the fan working now?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No phone call required... Give me a few minutes to check fan again

Beware that the fan may stop as you open the door, so listen for it too

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Adjusted temperature to colder setting. Fan then kicked in. Now switched off fast-freeze. Warning light is staying off and no audible alarm.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hope you saw last response about alarms being off and fast-freeze also switched off. All still seems OK. Is there anything else I need to know before signing off?

Ok, by the sounds of it the door had been left open and there is no problem...

Please keep an eye on it though and let me know if the problem returns

Please remember to rate my assistance

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi George. Thank you very much for your expertise and helpful advice in checking this out. It seems freezer is back to operating normally again. Just so you know, you've got 5 stars from this household! Cheers, Robert.

Thank you Robert.. and you are very welcome.